Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Secret In Their Eyes ( Secretos en los Ojos)

Author Topic: The Secret In Their Eyes ( Secretos en los Ojos)
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2010 05:45 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Kew Forest Cinema # 6, May 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM 30 adults & seniors.

This Argentine detective film, 2'15" long in Spanish with readable English titles,is a well-scripted and acted drama. Serious themes include an individual's search for justice in a corrupt society, everlasting love, and the inability to let go of the injustices of the past in order to live the present and plan for the future.

Benjamin is an un-heroic detective of low rank and education who becomes obsessed with the cold-case rape/murder of a beautiful woman. His marital and romantic relationships are in the past or on hold as he grapples with the apathy, stupidity or fascist attitudes of the police and justice departments.

While his passion for justice will remind the viewer of American film and TV cliche detective heroes, Benjamin avoids the stereotypes, even joking about such fictional heroes, giving the film an originality despite the usual elements of search for the killer, chase scenes, and beautiful women attracted to the main character. The passage of time plays heavily upon the characters.

This is a serious well-crafted drama, which, while long, held my interest throughout.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 05:41 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot ... but wasn't really going to write a review. I just wanted to nitpick the title of the thread... the original language title is El secreto de sus ojos.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 11:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at the National Geographic Academy Award Nominations 'Global Glimpses' film series and was quite impressed with the film, however it didn't help that a reel was missing

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-21-2010 11:11 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was booked at the Miami International Film Festival when it received the Academy Award for best foreign film....sold out 1500 seat Gusman Theatre presentation and interlocked extra screenings at another venue. Shot with a Red camera in scope that was to "cropped" 2/1 format. Excellent film.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2010 07:20 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Saw the film this last weekend. It was long..and slow in parts..but an excellent film. I'm really glad I saw it.

Mike
San Francisco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: