Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Brotherhood (2010)

Author Topic: Brotherhood (2010)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2010 02:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
None of you have ever heard of this movie.

Why? Because it was just finished. I am however going to help spread the word for this local director who is currently looking for a distributor...because it needs to be picked up and released.

I ran this off of HDCam for a film festival. Like most film festival fare, I was expecting to not give a shit about anything I was running. I mean really, who cares about documentaries on frogs done all spooky-like in 3D? (No joke) Or old people driving around in cars talking about how sexually perverted they are. (Again, no joke.) Most film festival movies bore the shit out of me. That's just me though, so you shouldn't be offended if you are one of those people who will buy anything Steve Jobs makes and love the super artsy stuff. [Razz]

So I start this thing and catch the first minute to verify all is good with picture and sound, then run to another screen ending its show to fire up microphones for a Q&A. After I am satisfied the Q&A is going well, I thread up another print that needs to start soon and wander back over to the Brotherhood auditorium to give it a second verification.

I am intrigued. I don't know what just happened, but I am shocked that this UTA college student has produced a professional film and am impressed. (Later I found out he isn't a UTD college student, he was a UTD college student.) The acting and dialogue is also catching my attention...but I have other screens to run so I go deal with that.

A few minutes later all is set for awhile and I wander back over to the Brotherhood auditorium. For the next HOUR I find myself standing at the window watching this movie, not wanting to even run grab a barstool that is about 100 feet away. Yes I had to run here and there to switch something on another screen every so often...but for the most part I find myself GLUED to the port window and trying to get back to it as fast as I can whenever I am forced to leave for a minute. I am just standing there, watching and thoroughly enjoying this film.

For those of you that don't know me, I don't like the crap Hollywood has been churning out for some time. I am quite the "tough audience". I also generally only enjoy movies if the presentation is top notch. A bad presentation and I cannot enjoy the movie even if it is awesome.

So lets be clear. Watching a movie through a port window is NOT a good presentation. In fact it is about as bad of a presentation as you can possibly get. We didn't even have a proper 3 chip DLP projector either.

But I, and the other projectionist found ourselves glued to that window with a 2 inch mono speaker, film projectors chattering all around, and a "standing room only" scenario.

It was that good.

Now about the movie, I didn't really get to catch the first 10 minutes or so because there were too many other screens to deal with. (This wasn't like Telluride where each auditorium has 4 projectionists.) The movie had similarities to Reservoir Dogs, as it was mostly shot in the fraternity house with only one other location for an occasional scene. The major difference between this and Reservoir Dogs is that instead of being entirely dialogue driven and told out of sequence, this one kept having one situation pile on top of the next situation and everything domino effecting from that point forward as the fraternity guys try and find a way out of the mess they found themselves in.

I am going to leave it at that, because this movie really is best if you go into it not knowing anything about it. (I just looked up their movie website and it goes one or two sentences "too far" in the plot description, so don't read it.)

Sadly they wanted the tape back shortly after the show was over, because the other projectionist and I REALLY wanted to watch that first 10 minutes on a portable monitor tv in the booth to see what all lead up to the events of the rest of the movie.

All of the performances were believable and were for the most part, unknowns. Trevor Morgan in particular gave an excellent performance. The director Will Canon has also done mostly unknown projects. I wish him the best of luck with this movie because it is a show that is fresh and energetic which is sorely needed in this tired rewritten industry.

Good luck Mr. Canon. If you need a recommendation, just say that Film-Tech owner was glued to a port window by your film. To anyone that knows me, that is better than receiving a 5 star rating.

Oh and if anyone has a screener (or ideally a 35mm film print), please send it to me. I really want to see how the entire situation started and watch it in a proper environment. [Wink]

SCOPE - 79 minutes

|  IP: Logged

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-16-2013 07:23 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1153 days since the last post.

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2013 07:23 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brotherhood (2010) is listed in Netflix Instant starring Trevor Morgan and having the same general description you gave. I just found it listed and haven't watched it yet.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2013 10:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it the other day and it's definitely worth checking out. But keep in mind that it's extremely low budget and they could not afford a tripod (I would have lent them one of mine) and had to rely on a chronic epileptic to hold the camera. Also the cover/poster is a big WTF. It shows a dude in a ski mask smoking. This has nothing to do with the movie at all. None of the characters in the movie smoke. Smoking really kicks ass and I was really disappointed not to see any smoking in there as I'm definitely a big fan of that as is everyone else. Smoking is really neat but it really should only be done by cool people.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: