Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang

Author Topic: Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang
Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 01:03 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all

Saw this at the local drive-in last night.

Major problem though! The first 5 or so minutes the projectionist (who will remain nameless [Smile] ) had the aspect ratio wrong and the screen was all stretched up. Horror! Film not done right (FNDR)!

The audience didn't seem to notice however. This does not surprise me as lots of people seem to get the aspect ratio all wrong on their digital widescreen tv sets all the time and don't seem to notice.

Moving on to the film, I found this instament of the Nanny McPhee movies more polished and better acted than the first movie which whilst moving, seemed a bit forced. This film was a bit more relaxed and fun.

The kids will enjoy it and there's nothing in it to worry about. The actress who played the mother seemed a bit unbelievable but quality performances from actors like Maggie Smith and Emma Thompson carried the film.

The pigs were fun too.

I'll happily give it 4 stars out of 5

cheers Peter

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 03-28-2010 02:31 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Nameless bloke gets around a bit, eh? [Frown]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-28-2010 04:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He probably fell asleep from all the excitement of running another Nanny McPhee movie.

[sleep] [sleep] [sleep] [sleep]

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2010 06:22 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might just have to watch this because comedian Bill Bailey is in it.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2010 03:16 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I won't name and shame as the owner of the drive-in frequents these boards, is a friend of mine and his drive-in presentation is normally excellent. A minor blemish on a good record methinks.

But he knows who he is. I am sure he is having sleepless nights and is racked with guilt from having done FNDR. [Smile]

Maybe Nanny McPhee will visit him and teach him the 5 lessons of FDR.

cheersPeter

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-29-2010 04:26 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think...

A) He realizes it's a shit film and deserves to be made look 'somehow' interesting.

B) He was so busy looking after the other screens showing real movies that he sacrificed 'Shitty Nanny McPhee'.

C) He thinks: shit happens...move along...there's nothing to see here.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2010 05:38 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm

Am I the only Film-tech member to have seen this film? Its quiet in here.

cheers Peter

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-31-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a bit of the members here are American and the movie isn't being released here until August.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2010 04:46 PM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh good

All the more reason to put in spoilers! [evil] [evil] [evil]

Mind you you could always download the torrent and review that [evil] [evil] [evil]

cheers Peter

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2010 05:37 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched it today to check some unfortunate base scratching (can't work out what caused it either, very annoying) and have to say I really enjoyed it, despite the base scratching which thankfully is minor. I might even have to buy the first one on DVD!

Maggie Gyllenhaal is soooooo English in it it's almost unture. A proper kids film that's hard not to like, admire, laugh and cry at.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2010 03:55 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scratching?

You mean you weren't using DIGITAL??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

cheers Peter

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Berrett
Am I the only Film-tech member to have seen this film?
quote: Chris Slycord
Quite a bit of the members here are American and the movie isn't being released here until August.
And, oddly enough, will be released here as Nanny McPhee Returns.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-17-2010 06:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MUCH better title.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: