Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Runaways (2010)

Author Topic: The Runaways (2010)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 05:48 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Legendary record producer Kim Fowley hooks Sandy West up with Joan Jett, and the rest is musical history. Based on the book by Cherie Currie.

Not a bad movie, but a very condensed version of the history of The Runaways. The producers have chosen to focus the film on the relationship between Jett and Currie, and Currie's relationship with her twin sister Marie. It's an approach, but it gives short shrift to West and Lita Ford, who were fine musicians themselves and in many ways the backbone of the band. History gets a little muddled too: the group burned thru no less than six bass players in their few years together, in the film they are mashed-up into one fictitious character who stays in the background and doesn't utter a single line.

The players are all very good, Kristen Stewart has Jett nailed, and Dakota Fanning looks appropriately slutty as an in-too-deep Currie. All in all, it's worth seeing if you like the group or the actresses, just don't expect a lot of insight into the band as a whole or their role in music history.

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2010 01:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Lita Ford
Yeah, that surprised me that Lita Ford wasn't more in it,
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

All in all, though, I enjoyed it. I don't have anything from The Runaways in my music collection & that should change because of seeing this movie.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-17-2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 10
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

I entered the auditorium to find the total attendance thus far to be two fat girls at the top of the stadium tier. One shouts "Woo hoo! More people!"

Me: "Well, person technically."

Her: "Doesn't matter. You still count."

They conversed up till showtime, including the line "Why do I have my hand up your ass?"

Total attendance: 8, I think.

THE PLOT: A collage of gratuitous panty shots with background music most people would only associate with Joan Jett. Wackiness ensues.

I had low expectations going into this. The first half of the movie or so pretty well exceeded them. But then it just kind of turned into a plodding highlight reel, like most band-based movies.

Basically, it was another reminder of why I was right to stay the hell out of rock and roll.

I'm really getting sick of scenes where women cover themselves up in a setting where they wouldn't really cover themselves up. I may start knocking ratings down in reviews when that happens.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2010 09:31 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why? This is the question which remains after viewing The Runaways, a rockudrama about the band of the title which begat the career of Joan Jett. Jett, with her subsequent band The Blackhearts, had a worldwide hit with her cover of I Love Rock'N'Roll affording her a brief moment in the sun but the reality is her stock rock hit represents but a footnote in the history of popular music. It's telling that, in Australia at least, the song is more likely to evoke memories of former Victorian Premier, Joan Kirner, performing the song on the comedy programme, The Late Show, than Jett herself.

The film is unremarkable for its lack of uniqueness in depicting the lives of a group of enthusiastic teenagers forming a band, getting exploited by their manager, falling prey to sex and drugs, and promptly self destructing. This is the standard narrative of just about every rockudrama ever made and most are done better than this.

The film is, however, conspicuous for its lack of detail. The movie makes it look like the band disintegrated before they recorded an album when, in fact, they recorded five. Cherie Currie is the only member of the band whose background is explored, we know little of where any of the other girls came from. It is particularly curious, for example, that guitar player, Lita Ford, subsequently went on to a substantial solo career yet she barely rates a mention in the film beyond goading Currie into leave the band and thus (apparently) precipitating its destruction. That the film is based on Currie's memoir, Neon Angel, gives weight to the assertion that this is merely one side of a five-faceted story.

"Droll" is a good word to describe the overall tone of the film including most of its performances. Kristen Stewart plays Bella playing Joan Jett and if this was the role to expel any doubt regarding her acting chops, it fails to convince. As Cherie Currie, Dakota Fanning has the most to gain (and lose) from this project, breaking significantly from the tone of her prior body of work. By the midway point, Fanning finds something within herself to lift her character off the screen, creating one of the few genuine points of interest within the film. That her role is by far the meatiest is unsurprising given that the film is based on Currie's book. Michael Shannon also adds welcome colour in his smallish role as manager, Kim Fowley. But the truth is the soundtrack has more soul than either the performances, the direction or the script.

So why was this made? Well, Jett is executive producer of this adaptation of her band buddy's book; it provides current "hot" girl, Kristen Stewart, with a "meaty" role to get her teeth into; and it delivers an opportunity for Fanning to shed her squeaky clean child star image - I guess. Altogether though, this is an inconsequential telling of a relatively inconsequential slice of rock history which will appeal to few others than those who were fans of the band presented.

6 out of 10.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 07-18-2010 06:34 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
It is particularly curious, for example, that guitar player, Lita Ford, subsequently went on to a substantial solo career yet she barely rates a mention in the film beyond goading Currie into leave the band and thus (apparently) precipitating its destruction.
Supposedly, Ford was offered $5000 by Jett's camp for her story for the film, and Lita, being Lita, told them where they could stick it.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2010 05:07 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, she's so rock'n'roll. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: