Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kick-Ass (2010) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kick-Ass (2010)
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-19-2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched Kick-Ass on Wednesday March 17 at ShoWest. It was easily the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. Think of it as Superbad meets Kill Bill.

At ShoWest, Lionsgate decided to admit the general public to fill seats not being used by attendees. Having the studio do this a month before the film opens is a bold statement that they feel very confident in their product.

One presentation comment: it was a 35mm presentation that was slightly out of focus. The focus was noticeable when text was on the screen.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-21-2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At which theatre was this shown?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-21-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre Des Arts in Paris.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love it...hopefully will do wel, but being a 15 in the uk? Love the use of the C-word as well!

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 11:53 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am ON FIRE to see this (read the comic it's based on, if you get the chance).

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2010 10:03 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a new champion, folks! The Dark Knight has nothing on Kick-Ass and neither does Watchmen. Rarely do all the elements of a film come together as finely as they do here, particularly when it comes to a comic book adaptation and the inherent enormous suspension of disbelief which such a transition between mediums requires.

Kick-Ass director, Matthew Vaughn, also produced the upcoming Michael Cain starrer, Harry Brown, and Kick-Ass presents a similar social commentary, taking place in a world of spiralling social degradation and violent crime, partnered with an ever-increasing passive indifference from a public too scared to act against it. Into this world walks Dave Lizewski (Aaron Johnson), an idealistic teenage comic geek who decides that enough is enough and dons a not-so-super suit only to come to the crushing realisation that there are already crime-fighting heroes in the game who are so much more accomplished than he is.

The performances are as deliciously ostentatious as the films lurid, colour saturated photography. Nicholas Cage and newcomer Chloë Grace Moretz are a fantastic scene-stealing double act as Big Daddy and Hit Girl respectively; their performances abetted by the affection which clearly exists between the two actors. After a multitude of recent misfires, it's great to see Cage's specific talents again exploited to the full. Aaron Johnson struggles to keep out of their shadow with his geeky portrayal of Dave Lizewski/Kick-Ass but since this is integral to his story arc, this is hardly a criticism.

The film is well deserving of its MA15+ rating. It's tough, blood thirsty and uncompromising. A bevy of bad guys being butchered by a foul-mouthed, super-violent, gun-totin' 11 year old girl all to the Banana Splits theme tune is stupendously and beautifully politically incorrect and, can I say, quietly awesome! But the film deftly runs the full gamut of emotions being also hilarious and tragically melancholic as the moment requires. Full commendations must go to Universal Pictures for not neutering the film to achieve an unrestricted classification for the sake of bigger box office.

You'll laugh; you'll cry; you'll rush out afterwards to buy a wetsuit and desert boots. Kick-Ass is an instant classic.

10 out of 10.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 06:02 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else noticing a lot of "jitter" in their film prints? Not the whole picture shaking, but different areas of the picture moving a bit independently of the rest of the image. I've noticed this on two different projectors, a Kinoton and a Simplex, neither of which have image stability issues.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 07:55 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not here.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-17-2010 04:00 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: God this popcorn sucks
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A psychologically deranged father trains his daughter to be a violent cold-blooded killer. Oh...and some dork wears a scuba suit and gets his ass kicked a lot. Wackiness ensues.

"Kick-Ass"??? Well yes, it pretty much did.

MINIMAL attendance, but I bet this thing does huge word-of-mouth.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2010 07:34 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a great movie. I went in thinking this was going have me ROFL, which I was, but then I was amazed at how it had so much more, Great writing, direction and editing. Definitely one of , if not the best movie of the year.

10/10

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to see this, the trailer made it look terrible (both looking like a bad digitally-shot movie, not the case, and story-wise).

It's hard gleaming tidbits of useful information from trailers aimed at attracting a teeny-bopper audience, ya know?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-25-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go see this movie if you haven't yet. That's all I can say.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2010 01:21 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it last night. Very impressed. The trailers made it out to be another R-rated comedy, but it was so much more.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2010 11:18 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all you people recommending it I had to see it. You're right, so far the best movie of the year, and pretty much unexpectedly. I have to say minimal attendance as well, it's sad how quickly we'll have to let this one go if the crowd won't pick it up... a great shame.

Kyle Butler
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2010 06:34 AM      Profile for Kyle Butler   Email Kyle Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hands down, favorite film in a LONG time.
Didn't expect it at all either.

Too bad it's doing practically no business :/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: