Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Alice in Wonderland (2010)

Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland (2010)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-05-2010 03:53 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: Spring Valley Wireless IMAX
PRESENTATION: IMAX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

Apparently the 'reserved seating' thing has flaws. In the row in front of me, two sets of patrons had tickets for the same seats. Employees couldn't figure out why.

The auditorium was pretty full. Some actually dressed up as Alice in Wonderland characters. A party of eight immediately in front of me (not those affected by the ticket issue), most of whom were dressed to the nines, were completely geeking out at the end.

THE PLOT: Alice falls down a hole. Wackiness ensues.

It's exactly what you'd expect...A sequel that doesn't fall too far from the tree in a Tim Burton atmosphere.

It's good and people are loving it.

But I was expecting more, somehow.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-05-2010 11:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why anyone would costume up for Alice in freakin' Wonderland. Super Mario Bros the Movie, sure, but this?

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be advised though, it is a pretty dark PG. Parents who don't realize it is based on a book and not just pure fluffy kid funk will be upset. More of an older kid to adult movie.

Tom Mundell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2010 07:19 AM      Profile for Tom Mundell   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mundell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this last night at AMC Mazza Gallerie in aud #2: THX/RealD 3D; picture and sound were excellent.

I pretty much agree with Sam's review; overall I liked it, but still thought it could have been better. Maybe because I went in with really high expectations. I think I'd give it 7/10 and will probably watch again in theaters to see if I like it as much a second time. Loved the Tron Legacy trailer, I'm still really looking forward to that movie!

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2010 11:09 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tim Burton has gone to the well one too many times with this one. While technically well done, the film just sat there for me. It felt like I was watching a billboard for 2 hours, the film and it's characters invoked no emotional response whatsoever. Mr. Depp prancing around and acting self-important has worn thin. It's time for him to move on and remind people he can act, assuming he actually can act.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 03-21-2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quarter of a billion at the BO and only two real reviews here. What's up? To the usual reviewers here: Cheshire Cat got your tongue?

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Saw the film a week ago. It was okay, but nothing great. I don't know what was so "dark" about the film. It's perfectly fine for kids.

Saw this at the Century Redwood City (CA) where the flat image is slightly smaller than the actual screen, leaving unfilled screen on the right and left.

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: