Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shutter Island (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Shutter Island
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2010 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! Absolutly amazing piece of film work. I will see it again tomrrow. Incredible acting, casting, script, camera work, effects, and precise editing all contribute to this extremely creepy masterpiece!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2010 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Please allow me to rephrase.

Reels 1-6 are very good.

Reels 7-8 suddenly try to make it something bigger than it needs to be to be effective and ends up failing in a predictable M. Night sort of way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-21-2010 10:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that nobody likes the ending.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved the first six reels. Very much like a good Hitchcock film. The rest... [uhoh]

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2010 01:23 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured out the ending in the first 15 minutes, and just kept hoping they would throw in some curves. Although very linear in plot, it was still moderately ok in my book. Good script, acting and filmwork kept it from being horrible. And thank god no shaky cam footage.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Mark G. on this one. This film has no dragging spots, has some outstanding acting, and pays homage to Hitchcock in some interesting ways. We really enjoyed this one!

As always, music is an important part of this film, as it is with most Scorsese projects. Much of the music was classical music composed at about the era of the story.

I wish I could have heard ALL of the music, because the right channel sound in room 24 of the AMC LENNOX 24 was either very low or non-existent. Is this film very active in the surrounds? I heard none at this screening, and Scorsese usually puts lots of music in the surround tracks.

There are a couple of scenes in the film I would like to see again knowing the ending. <non-spoiler here> The dialogue with the prisoner in cellblock C could be very interesting in retrospect.

This one gets an A.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 02-22-2010 11:08 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
I wish I could have heard ALL of the music, because the right channel sound in room 24 of the AMC LENNOX 24 was either very low or non-existent. Is this film very active in the surrounds? I heard none at this screening, and Scorsese usually puts lots of music in the surround tracks.
Quite a few AMCs (at least ones that weren't obtained through mergers with other chains) have SDDS only for surround sound and run stereo as the backup. But I know nothing of that theater in particular, and when I watched it, I could hear the surrounds quite well.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was in one of the 4-central, big rooms with multiple digital sound systems. Sounds like things were just messed up for that screening. There was also some weirdness with the pre-show projector. Looks to me like someone at AMC LENNOX 24 just wasn't paying attention. I reported the problem, but got a blank stare from the customer relations desk.

Still, Shutter Island is a good movie and I did enjoy it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-24-2010 12:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed with the film. It's a good B-movie script, and the performances and direction are not horrible, but I expected much more from Scorsese. I didn't even find it to be particularly entertaining, for the most part.

Still, it is one of the best current films that I have seen in months, which is sad.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-26-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Folks:

Saw this yesterday. I enjoyed it but Brad hit the nail on the head. The first 3/4 are very good and the last part was dissapointing.

Mike

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2010 09:19 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stayed and watched on opening day after my shift.

I bascially enjoyed it, but I was distracted by the
fact that reel 2 had a small hair in the printer
gate dancing around at the top right of the screen
for the 2nd half of the reel, and part of the
cyan sound track was bleeding into the left edge
of the picture for all of reel 3 on my print.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-01-2010 12:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw SHUTTER ISLAND at Regal's Pearl Highland yesterday afternoon and enjoyed the film very much. As mentioned, the classical music pieces made the movie more interesting and entertaining. Beside the music of Gustav Mahler, the film featured a lot of music by Gyorgy Ligeti whose music was also used in Stanley Kubrick's 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY. The photography was drab looking and set the mood for the movie. All of the performance by the cast was very good. I thought the entire movie was good. The only complaint I had with the movie as well as many 35mm film presentations I had seen since I got Blu Ray and a 1080p HD television was the picture quality in the theatres was not as vibrant as I have become accustomed to seeing at home in HD. This was mentioned in another thread I had posted in the Afterlife forum.

-Claude

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2010 12:22 PM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was SO DISAPPOINTED that a Scope movie could look so soft.

The "flashback scenes" for DiCaprio's wartime past (without spoiling it) were supposedly shot, in part, on 65mm 5-perf. film. Couldn't tell with such a shoddy 2K DI.

These things ought to be BANNED on 4-perf. scope/5-perf. 65mm films. Image quality has taken such a nose-dive in the last decade (if you don't believe me run a "Thin Red Line" trailer immediately followed by "Shutter Island") that it makes me sick.

Digital is going to replace film because the studios have INTENTIONALLY made 35mm prints look like [bs]

This movie is worse than the DI work I saw on Indy IV.

At the same time, I liked the story, even though the whole film looked like it was shot out of focus. It wasn't perfect, and I agree that it kinda died after the end of reel 6, but I'd give it maybe a B- at worst.

No "One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest" but easily the best work in this genre in a long time. Most "psycho dramas" fail miserably; I like this much better than "Gangs of New York" or any of the hundreds of TV shows I've seen that try, unsuccessfully, to deal with this subject.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2010 02:44 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with you, I think the film companies are watering down the 35mm copies, to force us to digital. I have never seen such poor quality as the prints that have been coming out since about mid summer 2009. Bad focus, bad color, extreme film grain. Their digital equivalents look great, so it is all added in during print production. If they aren't adding it in on purpose, they are doing a piss poor job during the printing process. It would be interesting to hear someones take on this from one of the labs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-02-2010 05:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the print I saw looked very sharp and had superb blacks. If you read my review you'll see that I was amazed they cold get Eastman to do the black ranges it did for this film.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: