Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » It's Complicated

Author Topic: It's Complicated
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are over 50, you'll love this movie. Romance and sex does last past the twenties, and this movie proves it. A terrific cast, slick writing and good pacing make this a nice way to spend a couple of hours.

Meryl Streep can make me chocolate crossants any time. Steve Martin effectively underplays his role and Alec Baldwin just about steals the film, keeping his performance just below overplaying.

It probably won't win any awards, but we really enjoyed it.

Wife and I both give this one an A.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-08-2010 10:57 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
Romance and sex does last past the twenties, and this movie proves it.
Nessie exists and the movie "The Water Horse" proves it. [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2010 12:01 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good film. Intelligent and funny.

This is probably one of the lightest "R" rated films to come along in years -- it shows the cast smoking weed (probably 90% of the reason for the rating right there), and there is a small amount of sex talk, but the language is PG-mild and it could have easily been a PG-13 and made twice the money.

In addition to the three top-liners, it also has John Krasinski (from TV's "The Office.") He's playing essentially the exact same character as he does on TV but with a different name. That was somewhat of a distraction, but he's really funny so it was OK.

It's nice to see a comedy that doesn't play down to the audience. Four out of five stars from me - my wife enjoyed it too.

Garrett Boyte
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2010 03:35 AM      Profile for Garrett Boyte   Email Garrett Boyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Plus it really reminded me of my own family!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 02-14-2010 07:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #10, 35mm. The movie is pretty good, a crowd pleaser, has some good laughs. I give it a solid 3 out of 5, with a minor deduction because it seemed a little too long.

John Krasinski better hope he has a lifetime of residual checks coming in from The Office because that does indeed seem to be the only character he can play.

Matt Skilton
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2010 05:01 PM      Profile for Matt Skilton   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Skilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was the first film I had to watch/rehearse in 2010 and I thought it was awful. It was made even worse by a poxy Toyota Prius making an appearance in the first 20 minutes!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: