Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Lovely Bones (2009)

Author Topic: The Lovely Bones (2009)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 11:29 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While waiting to enter Heaven following her brutal murder, a young woman attempts to influence the search for her killer and to keep her family from coming apart. Directed by Peter Jackson from the book by Alice Sebold. At the Pacific ArcLight Cinemas, Hollywood CA.

The worst film of 2009, IMHO. Based on a enormously popular best-selling novel, Jackson has taken a small, simple, moving story aimed at adults and tried to turn it into a Harry Potter/Twilight/Alice in Wonderland style teen-oriented special effects extravaganza, and it's all just overblown garbage. Who knew Heaven would look like an mid-seventies Roger Dean album cover? Shame, I really liked the book, and was looking forward to seeing this.

Good luck trying to see it yourself, by the way, unless you are in NY or LA. Paramount has shut down all marketing and distribution on this until they figure out what to do about the horrible reviews.

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-15-2010 01:58 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched The Lovely Bones and for the most part I liked it. The first third of the movie where you learn about Susie and her family is interesting and touching. The last third of the movie is filled with some real tension as you wait to see whether the killer will be caught. The problem is the middle third when nothing of real interest is happening.

I did find the "heaven" sequences to be visually captivating, but not the scenes were not especially interesting.

Overall I give it about a 6.5 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: