Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel

Author Topic: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 01:19 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it was about what I expected, and the kids are enjoying it. What's amazing to me is the number of adults who come out raving about how cute it is, etc. More than one adult has said "Awesome!" upon exiting this movie.

We watched it this afternoon. It has all of today's standard kid-pic features, such as:

- At least one fart joke
- Somebody getting hit in the balls with something
- Somebody falling into, or getting dunked into, a toilet
- Somebody falling into a bedpan (only applies when part of the movie takes place in a hospital)
- Bad guy being a complete and total idiot for no reason
- Songs which were popular in the 1970s and 1980s (and 1960s)
- Really bad acting by all concerned
- Teenage girls being turned on by rodents (chipmunk movies only)
- Bad guy being horribly humiliated at the end, as opposed to killed
- A helpful message for the kids (in this case, it's "Don't be a jerk; think of others, not just yourself")

It had a couple of laughs due to cutesy/risque lines spoken by chipmunks, but that's about it. The sound mix was awful.

This movie became our top grossing movie of 2009 on Day 6. I just don't get it. (Meanwhile a really good movie, Disney's "The Princess and the Frog," probably won't make our top 10 for the year. I guess that's because it featured none of the dopey kidpic attributes listed above.)

0.5 out of 5 stars for me. It gets half a star for a catchy song during the end credits, which I enjoyed, and for putting a lot of butts in the seats -- some have come two or three times!

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 01:00 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the two smaller multiplexes here in Montgomery, Alvin is beating Avatar. At the major Plex it is giving it a run for its money.

Maybe there are subliminal messages in the squeaky voice recordings;>

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-02-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Avatar is a few weeks old now and the area audience around you for it is certainly dwindling by now. Or are you hinting at the type of fims your populus prefers???

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-02-2010 07:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
which I enjoyed, and for putting a lot of butts in the seats -- some have come two or three times!

Which means your conc sales and percap went out through the roof!

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2010 08:05 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I'm just as amazed as you about the business this thing is doing. We're in our second week now with attendance still very high. In our tiny town, the second week of any given show is usually way less than half the first week. Alvin is holding up over 50%. I didn't care for the show but my 4 and 6 year old boys loved it.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-03-2010 01:29 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone understand what those horrible little rodents are saying? Maybe age is wearying me, but I'm sure this thing needs subtitles.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 02:36 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gross Update: Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 is our 8th highest grossing picture since 1998. WTF!!!

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having not seen the first and screening this one, I didn't like how the singing all had the "in vogue" effect of autotune.

And just to check, I listened just now to an old chipmunk song and then to one from the movie and the effect was insanely obvious.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 06:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally agreed there. That whole Mariah Carey-ish vocal style where they sing five notes when only one is required drives me nuts. (It's called "melisma.")

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 08:39 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not referring to melisma, though melisma is an annoying thing that a lot of people do.

Auto-Tune is a piece of software that includes (among other things) audio pitch correction for vocals and instruments. So I sing off-key then they smoothly change my pitch to the right one. But now, a lot of people instead use it to instantaneously switch from one pitch to the other, which creates the odd-sounding effect that's become popular with a lot of artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6bCdZmSE7M

edit: The bigger annoyance for me was hearing the obvious auto-tune effect even when the chipmunks are supposed to be singing A Capella in a hallway.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 11:55 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yo shorrrtaayyyy

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: