Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-01-2010 10:54 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Guy Ritchie has only one movie in him and he keeps remaking it. This Sherlock Holmes is a collection of fight scenes broken up by the random plot point. Could easily have been cut by 30-45mins.

Downey and Law are entertaining as Holmes and Watson, though they have clearly been re-imagined as House and Wilson (who, of course, are a re-imagining of Holmes and Watson). And in case you don't get it, there is a shot in the movie where Holmes is sitting against a wall with the word House written above him. Add in some James Bond and Batman and you have the new and improved Holmes.

Nice try, maybe someone else will do the sequel.

[ 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Mike Olpin ]

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2010 11:05 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre: Rave NorthEast Mall, Ft. Worth, Tx
Auditorium: 8
Christie Digital Projection, not knowledgeable enough to know what exactly they use there.

Movie was decent enough, but I couldn't stand the lack of sound. Couldn't distinguish any left/right, or surround and the center was too underpowering. I wanted to see an amazing pure digital projection (like they advertise) and was highly unimpressed.

Movie: 4/5
Experience: 1/5

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2010 07:14 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this is Sherlock Holmes through the Guy Ritchie prism. An action buddy caper flick to bring Arthur Conan Doyle's celebrated hobbyist detective into the sphere of Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels. Being largely ignorant of Doyle's stories myself, a cursory glance at the appropriate Wiki page suggests Ritchie's interpretation may not be far from the mark but it does feel off kilter to 20th century generations raised on Basil Rathbone pop culture. It does, however, confirm (yet again) that Ritchie is capable of making only one kind of movie. Whether this is a burden or a boon depends on one's regards for Ritchie's prior body of work.

Sherlock Holmes vis-à-vis Ritchie favours action movie over suspense mystery and the film is generally poorer for it. Part of the appeal of a whodunit is allowing the audience a stab at solving the mystery and the inherent intrigue this affords. Here Ritchie shows us the outcome and then points out the cleverness of Holmes' deductions in flashback. This results in a decidedly vanilla film whose flat pacing continues right up to it's predictable conclusion whereby Holmes dispels all paranormal possibilities with an inevitable proclamation of rational thought. This is not so much a climactic revelation as a wholly expected outcome.

There are positives, however, in the excellent witty banter between Holmes and Watson which is a joy to behold and the delivery by Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, respectively, is just great. This is far and away the highlight of the film, saving it from mediocrity and singly justifying the price of admission. Sadly, the thoroughly affable Rachel McAdams is largely inconsequential; a small edit would have removed her from the script entirely.

Following on from the trend of the latest James Bond flicks, Ritchie fails to end the film definitively, instead suggesting a sequel which, given the elementary treatment here, seems more than a little superfluous.

7 out of 10.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-03-2010 07:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #9, 35mm. No presentation problems but man what an ugly-looking low-res print (intentionally or not).

The extended fights and chase scenes bored me. Holmes doing stuff without any explanation until those later flashbacks was lame (stealing things from the crime scene for example). Were those supposed to be useful clues to the audience? I don't think so.

Martin's comparison of Homes and Watson to House and Wilson is dead-on. I could not get that out of my head as scenes played out.

I can't recommend an action-mystery movie that made me want to doze off in parts and only mildly entertained me at the reveal and whose characters seem modeled after a Fox TV show (even if the Fox characters are themselves based on Holmes and Watson).

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this a detective film or a Batman movie? Hard to tell at times. Looked like Sherlock Holmes went to the same monastary as Bruce Wayne.

I thought of Butch and Sundance at times. I half expected to see Sherlock get on a bike and hear RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD.

This was one of the worst looking movies I've seen in awhile. The whole film was rather dull looking. The last sequence on the bridge looked more like 90's special effects than todays. Did they run out of money there?

Robert Downey is the best thing here. It would be horrible without him. The rest of the characters are totally forgettable.

In the classic words of the British cops: "Nothing to see here...move along...move along."

Rating: C- (Not awful, but surely not very good.)

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. [thumbsup]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 05:51 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A year of release in the subject line would be nice ... after all, Sherlock Holmes has been done plenty of times! [Razz]

With regard to the 2009 Guy Ritchie directed one:
quote: Eric Hooper
I liked it
Me too.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-09-2010 03:33 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 16
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: The Voice of the Theatre was regulated to the left channel
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first Iron Man movie, but I'll admit...the Iron Man 2 trailer looks pretty good.

THE PLOT: A dead guy isn't. Wackiness ensues.

Well it looks good and it's witty and campy and not that hard to follow. Yet it's nothing special either. It was kind of like watching a Guy Ritchie directed Jerry Bruckheimer production.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2010 06:25 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a digital presentation of this at AMC Mansell Crossing in Atlanta. I am guessing it is a 4K projection. The screen and auditorium was medium sized stadium seating. The person who answered the phone had no idea what the digital projection specs were. I did not bother to ask someone else.

I peeked in two other auditoriums playing the movie on film. The digital projection was sharper. I am guessing that in this day of chains ignoring film projection quality, I might actually prefer digital for small to medium screens. While brightness and focus could obviously suffer due to management neglect even with digital, I think the number of variables that could go wrong are less. And while I am no expert on this, from what I am reading on these forums, aren't rushed printing of film prints in these days where movies are frontloaded in multiplexes leading to inferior quality?

Hopefully studios will start spending extra for the 4K digital intermediates which is not a big fraction of total costs spent on most movies.

As far as the movie, I liked the beginning and the final thirds. THe middle third had me dozing off at times. All the magic stuff had me fearing this would be Harry Potterish but thankfully the resolutions are done in classic Holmesian fashion even if the screenplay doesn't match the books(I read the whole collection many years ago in middle school).

Robert Downey Jr was predictably good and I got used to the idea of seeing Jude Law as Watson.

The movie could be better but hopefully this will signal the beginning of the path for Guy Ritchie to find his cinematic mojo. Hopefully his divorce from madonna will help him regain that though I noticed he did cast his new girlfriend as Watson's fiancee in this movie( she was the English chick in that Spain based french movie about European students studying together).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: