Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Me and Orson Welles

Author Topic: Me and Orson Welles
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2009 05:28 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story of a production of JULIUS CAESAR by the Mercury Theater company in 1937.

This is a nice little movie that tells of a young actor who finds himself involved with the first production of Orson Welles' newly formed company. The script is solid and the production is very good.

Some really terrific acting here. Zac Efron does a good job playing the young actor who somehow happens into a small part. Clare Danes is willing to play "casting couch" with anyone who can help here career, and James Tupper is almost a double for Joseph Cotten. Everyone does a very good job.

But the real breakthrough performance here is Welles portrayed by Christian McKay. He looks and sounds almost exactly like Orson Welles, and his portrayal has that amazing bravado and confidence that the young Welles possessed.

The film is worth seeing for this performance alone. It truly makes the movie. One of the best characterizations of a real person I've ever seen.

Likely to be overlooked during this season of the blockbuster, but its very entertaining. It really made me want to know more about Orson Welles, so I guess I'll get my library card out and reserve a biography.

Academic Scale -- A

|  IP: Logged

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2009 10:38 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I agree with the above review. I always have trouble with movies that have real former performers being depicted in the fictional cast. Yes, James Tupper brought off the Joseph Cotten part well as far as looks, but did not have his distinctive southern accent. Leo Bill as Norman Lloyd was really wrong! Lloyd is the one member of the Mercury Theater who is still living, and active, and he's the worst of the characatures.
On the fictional side, I liked Clare Danes. I do agree that Christian McKay did a good job with the title part.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2009 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the lack of Joseph Cotten's distinctive accent. I'm sure that actor could have used that. I wonder if that was a director's decision?

What made the Clare Danes roll interesting is that she was very open about using her sexuality for her own gain. She would sleep with anyone who could move her up the chain (Welles & Selznick) or give her a feeling of power over men (The young [and likely virginal] Lucius). The rest of the men in the cast seemed to be of no interest to her. If this was a real life character, I could even see her eventually working in the upper levels of studio management. We don't see characters like that in many stories.

I especially liked the radio play scene where Welles' improvised the middle and then came right back to the proper place in the script...all seemingly with little effort. I wonder if the real Welles could do that? (I think he could!)

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have read somewhere that Welles not only could go extemporaneous on the radio, but he actually did.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: