Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Avatar 2009 (plus lots of off-topic, non-review junk) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Author Topic: Avatar 2009 (plus lots of off-topic, non-review junk)
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2009 11:12 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Scoop on Avatar! I got out of bed at 5 a.m. to make the 3 hour trip to Indianapolis and I had to be there by 8:45. So, this may be the reason that I almost dosed off a couple of times because of its slow start The 3D effects were not used in a dramatic fashion for some of the scenes as I was told by other theater owners that is was used with a soft touch in many places. I think the movie would have been just as good flat. 3D did ad good bit of excitement at times. The colors were much prettier with out those sun glasses. The end of the movie picked up a good bit of speed and punch. I am looking forward to seeing it again, to see what I might have missed being so sleepy at that early hour. Will it sell tickets. More than likely. Will the movie pay for itself, possibly. I guess with world wide sales it should pay itself a profit. Is it as good as the other movies by James Cameron? It looks as if we will see what the public thinks about it in a week or so. All in all its worth watching several times.

[ 12-19-2009, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-10-2009 11:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far, 8 reviews in at Rotten Tomatoes and they're all...

fresh. [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-11-2009 02:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any movie worth watching several times is a good movie. I have not seen it yet, but I plan to.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-11-2009 03:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie is essentially an updated reworking of "The Last Samuri" with blue smurfs and spaceships substituted for Japanese warriors and Samuri swords.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-11-2009 06:42 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Avatar "Rotten Tomatoes" review update...

23 Fresh
4 Rotten

The Latest

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2009 04:43 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
The movie is essentially an updated reworking of "The Last Samuri" with blue smurfs and spaceships substituted for Japanese warriors and Samuri swords.
From the previews, this was my thought exactly. While I am a fan of "The Last Samurai", the fact that Mr. Cameron has been working on this for ten years and it's the same story line as another story, it makes it disappointing.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2009 04:51 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
All I want to know is does it have some typically bad douche chill-inducing Cameron dialog?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-14-2009 06:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am already making plans to see AVATAR but not until after the holidays. I will see it at the Dole Cannery 18 on their digital IMAX 3-D screen. Unlike a fellow FT member who had predicted the movie will do shit at the boxoffice, I feel it will recover it's three hundred million production costs in a short period of time and make at least seven hundred million if not more. All it would take is for people to have the desire to see it more than once in a theatre. Roger Ebert said AVATAR was just as exciting as STAR WARS when he first saw the film so this is a good indication the film will do excellent business.

-Claude

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 11:35 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it'll be big, but $700 million? I doubt that. I'd guess $400m.

(Claude - check out the "guess the opening week gross" for this movie in the Yak forum.)

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 01:32 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking worldwide, and not just domestic, $700M might be possible. Not just domestically though, not even remotely close.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 01:43 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it doesn't do $700million worldwide I'll be VERY surprised, but domestically? Come on, Claude.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 02:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not say domestic, John [Frown]

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 03:03 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read your post incorrectly then. Apologies, Claude.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 03:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post.

...and now, a massage from the Swedish Prime Minister.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 12-15-2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I had stated in my original post, the movie could make the amount I had predicted if it has the qualities that the first STAR WARS and TITANIC had that made people want to see it more than once in a theatre. The only stumbling block AVATAR has is it's ability to play a full unlimited run in 3-D.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  17  18  19 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: