Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Princess and the Frog (2009)

Author Topic: The Princess and the Frog (2009)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-12-2009 04:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's animation unit redeems itself after the awful "Home on the Range" from 2004. This film looks great, sounds great and people are loving it. The score, especially is cool -- I'm glad they finally got Randy Newman to do a whole movie's worth of songs.

Disney might be competing with itself for some Oscars this year. [thumbsup]

I haven't been able to watch the whole thing yet but will confer my 'stars' rating after I've seen it.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2009 12:19 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great movie. the old time animation works wonderfully. saw parts of it, laughed out loud with tears in my eyes. don't want to spoil it for you guys, just remember the hill-williams and the frogs, you will know it when it comes.

Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2009 02:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went in to this fully expecting to think "eh, it's OK, hope it does some business" but I was fully transported.

Well...one word - EXCELLENT! This movie totally brings Disney hand animation back to the standard where it belongs. Fun characters, humor that isn't "stupid," great music, a villain that isn't so over-the-top, and genuine heart.

The backgrounds also deserve special mention. This film takes place in a world Disney had never really explored before and the artwork is beautiful.

4.5 out of 5 stars from me. If it had been in Scope, it would have been a 5.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-13-2009 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I'm glad they finally got Randy Newman to do a whole movie's worth of songs.
That does it. Now I will never see this movie.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 12-13-2009 05:03 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Short people got no reason
Short people got no reason
Short people got no reason to live.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-13-2009 05:30 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I will agree with that.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-13-2009 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind, Newman does not SING most of the songs, which is a plus.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-13-2009 11:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo that is indeed a plus.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-14-2009 06:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I saw this one today.

Regal Riverpoint Stadium 14 - Sheridan, CO
Screen #9, 2:50pm
Audience: Empty auditorium (except us)

The Presentation:
Very dirty with a severely flickering xenon bulb! I talked to the manager kid after the show and told him. He said that he'd have them "put a cleaner on it". I didn't bother to inform him that one pass with a cleaner won't do much as he obviously didn't know much about such things. But the film is only a few days old, how could the Regal Riverpoint Stadium 14 have gotten it so dirty so fast? The trailers were horrendously, all of them, even the attached. I counted 3 lab splices, only one of which dropped to analog. The sound was tolerable for a change. This was a different auditorium than the one I am usually stuck with at this place.

The Movie:
It was... not bad. I don't really care about New Orleans culture, so I was a bit put off from the start. No titties were flashed during the Mardi-Gras scenes yet people were shown throwing beads. I do not understand this, especially since that is the only thing that Mardis-Gras is about... worth mentioning, anyway. The characters were mostly uninteresting. The songs sucked my anus juice.

However I was very glad to see 2D animation again. Even moreso to see the style returned to as seen in The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, etc. That Mulan/Hercules style looked very odd (almost Picasso-like) and was a big turn off. Unfortunately, Disney doesn't "still have it". You can tell that they haven't done this in a very long time. The animation, while very good, is still rusty around the edges. All in all it is acceptable, but there is nowhere near the detail in the shading and backgrounds as there was in Beauty and the Beast. Granted, Aladdin also lacked this fine detail, but it was a fun movie that forces you to watch it again and again because it is so awesome. I do not want to see this movie again. Keep trying, Disney, you're almost there!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: