Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Blind Side (2009)

Author Topic: The Blind Side (2009)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 11-29-2009 03:41 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

A NEW WAY TO UPSELL POPCORN: Simply fulfill the order with a large and charge for a large, even when the customer asks for a 'regular' (they only have two sizes...'regular' and 'large'. Neato! You probably shouldn't give the customer a receipt so they'll notice, though (like they did me. I let it go anyway).

Not all that long ago, I had this policy that I would only patronize the snack bar if I could get the ticket, popcorn, and soda for a total of less than ten bucks. Today, a popcorn and soda alone cost $10.50.

THE PLOT: A big doofus is the luckiest son of a bitch in the history of the world. Feel goodness ensues.

Based on a true story, this is essentially a 'rags to riches' tale where a homeless kid is taken in and his story is told while the rich mom hogs all the spotlight. Sandra Bullock's character is the clear star here.

But Bullock is awesome in this, and everybody supports her really well, so it's good.

They show photos of the real family during the credits. The guy who played the dad is FAR sexier than the actual dad.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 11:29 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, don't talk about Sean Tuohy that way.....

I thought the movie was great. Only three cuss words in the whole thing - and the movie was good.

See the movie.. then go out and buy the book....

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #13, 35mm. Unsteady image, bounces around badly at times, fluttering brightness on the right side. Audio "stuttered" a few times either catching up or falling behind a fraction of a second.

This is a by-the-numbers feel-good audience pleaser, made watchable for me mostly by Sandra Bullock. Who by the way still looks *great*. She carries the movie.

A generous 3 out of 5 stars because the movie tries and kind of succeeds but mostly because of Ms. Bullock. Take her out and it might be 2 stars.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with all these comments. The movie is fun to watch but it's mostly because of Sandra Bullock -- the story itself is fairly standard.

I think young actors who play the Touhy kids should get some props. Usually in this kind of movie, the girl is a real bitch who does NOT want that outsider in HER house, but comes to love him in the end; and the boy is a smartass twerp who is a real pain in the butt but also comes to love the outsider in the end. In this movie, the two kids were likable and believable throughout.

Anyway, it made me feel good and my better half liked it enough to watch it twice. 4 out of 5 stars here.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2010 01:08 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I agree with you about Collins (the daughter) and for the most part with SJ (the son)
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Blind Side is a competent if unremarkable film. The story is an inspiring one (though not unheard of before) and the performances are good (though not Oscar-worthy) and the film pulls effectively at the heart strings at all the appropriate points. But there's something a little too "white bread" about this story. It's as if this is how middle class America may have imagined how this all went down rather than how it actually went down. As if the truth may offend their delicate sensibilities. Where's the grit? Where are the tough times? Where's the heartache? It's enough to make bourgeois white women the world over want to seek out a destitute black kid of their own - it looks so easy!

Admittedly, however, The Blind Side is an enjoyable film and Sandra Bullock does an admirable job, jettisoning her usual ditzy charm for lovable stoicism. There's enough entertainment and drama here to remain interesting, indeed mildly gripping, but you just can't help feeling that we're missing out on some of the finer, perhaps less commendable, details.

7.5 out of 10.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 11:35 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We sold 1174 tickets for our 7:15 (second run) show Saturday night. The audience love it, applauded at the end. A pretty fair movie and one of Bullock's best.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-15-2010 10:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
We sold 1174 tickets for our 7:15 (second run) show Saturday night.
 -

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will there be enough Football in it for me to not get bored if I don't like the film? I haven't decided on watching it yet, probably will because it did such good business in the US and want to see what the fuss is about.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-25-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Will there be enough Football in it for me to not get bored if I don't like the film?
Probably not. Football is just the backdrop for the story.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-25-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you like sugar though...you'll love it.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 03-26-2010 12:17 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First there was HOOSIERS, than RUDY and now THE BLIND SIDE. Although THE BLIND SIDE was not directed by David Anspaugh who was responsible for the other two films,THE BLIND SIDE is now another favorite sports movie of mine. This says a lot because although I like football and basketball, I am not much of a sports fan and will only watch the games if I have a personal interest in them such as a University of Hawaii championship playoff. No, I do not agree the daughter was not receptive to her parents taking an interest in a homeless young black man and making him a part of their family. She was a little hesitant at first but you can see how she have come to love Michael Oher along with the rest of her family. Stu, you were proven wrong when you said the performance was not Oscar worthy when Sandra Bullock won for her performance as Anne Touhy. The entire cast was very good including Quinton Aaron who played Michael..

I did not see the movie in a theatre but at home on a Blu-Ray disc I had purchased as a blind buy . I know I would like the movie and intend to watch it again many times in the future. The BD picture and sound quality was excellent.

5 out of 5 stars

-Claude

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-26-2010 04:22 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
I did not see the movie in a theatre but at home on a Blu-Ray disc I had purchased as a blind buy
Yes...irony can be pretty ironic sometimes. [eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: