Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Up in the Air (2009)

Author Topic: Up in the Air (2009)
Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2009 08:32 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Up in the Air at a SAG screening at the DGA. First off, yes, BlackBerrys are very bright and it would be appreciated if you wouldn't check them during the movie. Thanks.

I can't say much about the plot, because even to say there are surprises might be giving away too much. I liked the first half better, it was punchier and more original with some good cinematography. The second half slipped into drippy chic flick territory, but it was still good. Stay through the credits, and listen; you'll know why when you hear.

The performances were excellent. Clooney was simply to die for charming, Anna Kendrick was smart and held her own with Clooney. Vera Farmiga as the love interest was the type of strong woman we need to see as leads, not just following behind the men.

For all I enjoyed it, this is a sad example of the best the movie industry can come up with - as an end of year release. Nothing will be lost by watching it on cable or DVD. It's got a couple of important messages, but the gooey scenes with music rather than dialog lose it intelligence points.

|  IP: Logged

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 12-06-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was kind of depressing. For kicks I glanced through the screenplay. Definitely some of the stage directions were funnier on paper:

quote: p.7

Glorious close-up of Ryan's PLATINUM CARD sliding through the
AUTOMATED MACHINE. Were it any sexier, we'd hear a moan.
Maybe we even do.

quote: p.19

INT. CHECK IN DESK, AIRPORT - DAY
Ryan SWIPES his FREQUENT FLIER CARD through the automated
machine: 4,971,230

A FEMALE DESK ASSISTANT notices the number, looks up at Ryan,
and has a tiny orgasm right there.

I still enjoyed it. But more of a downer than I had hoped for.

--jhawk

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 04:21 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JHawk: I wish I had the screenplay to thumb while watching this stinker... That's brilliant stuff.

I thought the acting was all great and the concept OK.
Others found this film to be quite sad, I found it pretty amusing myself. As much of a "discover what you want in life" story as it was, I found the commentary on our current events to be more comical.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

I wish Zack Galafinakis and JK Simmons had bigger roles as well and the major points were pretty predictable.

All in all, it's a 2.5 star flick. As mentioned above, nothing lost if you watch it on TV later.

[ 12-23-2009, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2009 03:06 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carol May
giving away too much
Use the spoiler option:
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-30-2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Warren Moore, Moore, OK
AUDITORIUM: 4
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A guy travels a lot. Wackiness ensues.

This movie was 3 1/2 stars in the making right up until about fifteen minutes before the credits. I was really enjoying this because I could totally relate to an experience with a co-worker who was forced on me once.

Then everything went to shit and turned the whole movie into predictable fluff.

HOW could he not see that coming. There's no WAY that guy would have not understood. And there's no WAY his attitude would have changed in the end like that. If anything, he would have been RELIEVED.

Amy Morton turns in a solid performance as Ryan's sister Kara, a completely selfish fucking bitch who should have never been born.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-15-2010 01:20 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Jen rented this because she wanted me to suffer. At least that is what I thought during the movie. So we watched it and it was nothing but blah blah blah shut the hell up. Goerge Clooney plays Goerge Clooney once again. Boring! Not even a half of a half of a star. Why the eff did this get nominated? Why the eff did George Clooney get nominated? Why did that bearded Zack guy get screen credit when he was only in there for 5 seconds? What the eff, people?

Also, this is a shitty sequel to "Up".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: