Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pirate Radio (2009) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pirate Radio (2009)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-15-2009 07:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today Regal 15 in Eugene, #4, no presentation problems, very good in fact. [beer]

Who is the braintrust at Focus Features that decided to release this movie now? Idiot(s). In the face of 2012, it opened at #11 in the US and will have a *very* short run with New Moon on its heels. They probably had a "counterprogramming" strategy in mind. Epic fail.

This is EASILY one of the best movies I've seen this year. Highly entertaining, brilliant casting, novel premise, and on top of that the last 20 minutes had half the (smallish) audience BAWLING OUT LOUD! I expect that will be highly unexpected by anyone who ventures to see this and expects a pure comedy. PR finds a winning combination of 60s music and counter-culture behavior including attitudes toward sex; creates an ensemble of oddball but lovable characters; throws them all together on a so-called pirate radio station on a ship anchored off Great Britain outside the territorial limits. It works, very well too.

And what other movie out right now has a main character named Mr. Twatt?

I loved this. 4.5 out of 5 stars. Maybe it's a generational thing. [Shrug]

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2009 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great casting and performances. Very good writing. A bit too long...that last sequence should be shorter.

My favorite character was Bob. I was much sadder for Simon's situation than the entire end of the movie.

Length drops my rating to a B. Wife would give a C, as she would have cut more.

Nice to see the lovely and delicious Emma Thompson in a small role. You youngsters can have your Megan Fox, I'll stick with Emma, a true classic.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2009 10:25 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Saw the film today at the Cinearts at Palo Alto Square (formerly operated by Landmark).

Presentation awfull - xenon lamp flickering badly.

I went with a friend to the 1:45 showing and there were probably about 100 people there. Mostly older people. Very entertaining film. More music that you typically get in an independent film.
I'll give it a 4 out of 5.

Mike

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 01:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See also this thread with the movie's original title.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding the Brit version is 30mins longer. Can anyone confirm and let us know what is missing?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 09:02 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is according to wikipedia

quote:
With an initial running time coming in around three hours, many scenes were removed as the editing progressed solely for reasons of time. These include a sub-plot about a rival pirate broadcaster being sabotaged by the Radio Rock crew (featuring James Corden) and a flashback to Gavin's past explaining his return to the ship. Felicity also has a scene explaining her joining the crew to escape her fiancee and we learn more about Angus's reasons for believing the crew not liking him. All of these scenes have been included on most home video releases as deleted scenes introduced by Richard Curtis... Following the film's financial failure at the British box-office, Focus Features commissioned a re-edited version for North American release, retitled Pirate Radio. Curtis deleted approximately twenty minutes of footage from the original UK version to address complaints from several critics that the film's running time was excessive.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 09:28 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh, Wikipedia. What can't it do? [Wink]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-16-2009 09:36 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have one opinion?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-01-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Megaplex 17 at Jordan Commons, Sandy, UT
AUDITORIUM: 1
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: A bunch of halfwit burnouts broadcast rock music from a boat outside boundary lines. Actually, not much has changed today (including the music), except they broadcast from strip malls. Wackiness ensues.

Gee. I wouldn't have expected the fat buddy from Shawn of the Dead to look that good naked.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 12-01-2009 05:08 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Where the hell is KVXL's RedDick (Josh Jones) when ya need him? HUH???

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-13-2009 09:52 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably made with no thought of the US market.

I loved it, but then again I was part of a dorm radio outfit that was similar. (US radio itself was similar in the 60's.)

Amazing that the 25 year olds "got it" and laughed heartily.

Loosely based on Radio Caroline (see Wikipedia) the original title (The Boat That Rocked The World)was more appropriate.

Not a great film, but an enjoyable time at the cinema. . . gonna be a great Airline film! 3 stars Louis

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2009 07:26 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Amazing that the 25 year olds "got it" and laughed heartily.
[Confused]

Although, come to think of it, this is a movie about an older generation not giving a younger generation enough credit.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2009 07:17 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find amusing that the film was re-named for the US release...

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2009 08:57 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably done as a way to disassociate it with the "version" that performed so poorly.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-06-2010 10:35 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin: the title has a different meaning in the UK. The USA never had a need for pirate radio stations, since all businesses here are pirates, including my own. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: