Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » A Serious Man (2009)

Author Topic: A Serious Man (2009)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-31-2009 03:43 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 4
PRESENTATION: Kinoton 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Image visible through bottom masking and even below it due to either poor design or a missing or improper aperture plate (the opening sequence has subtitles that appeared to be framed correctly, but what the hell do I know about such things)
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Attendance: 8. Four men, four women. Every one of us came alone. It was like a mini convention of lost souls.

THE PLOT: Well, there's this bizarre opening scene that will leave you wondering if you're in the right auditorium, then it's basically a Jewish tribute to a Jefferson Airplane song. Wackiness ensues.

Ever watch a movie that drifts along just sort of going on and on and on and you're sitting there begging at the screen for it to end, and without warning, it does?

This is that movie.

The Coen brothers leave us with a serious WTF. Great period images, especially Amy Landecker and her home. I'd love to know if that particular Embers dining room really still exists, or if it was staged.

|  IP: Logged

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2009 10:56 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed this but I think the last reel was missing from the print I saw.......

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2009 09:01 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a short prologue set in mediaeval Eastern Europe, a Hasidic man invites an elderly neighbour to his home for soup but his wife determines that the elder is a possessed corpse (a "dybbuk") and, to the horror of her husband, promptly stabs him in the chest to prove the point, thus cursing the family line for generations to come. Flash forward to 1967 Minnesota, the Summer of Love, and it seems that women are still betraying their husbands as Larry (Michael Stuhlbarg) is informed by his wife, Judith (Sari Lennick), that she is having an affair with family friend, marriage councillor and recently widowered, Sy (Fred Melamed). This revelation sets in motion a cautionary tale of temptation and divine retribution as Larry attempts to negotiate a minefield of moral solicitations.

After the star power indulgences of Burn After Reading, Joel and Ethan Coen pull an unheralded A Serious Man out of nowhere with a largely unknown cast and the result is one of their best yet. The smart, intricately woven script masquerades as a superficial, piss-take Jewish comedy employing some fabulously dry dialogue. But there are many layers operating beneath the surface with the marriage of Old Testament theology and new age quantum theory - surely an unholy union if ever there was one but the Coen's convince us that were Moses and Neils Bohr to meet in a bar then they'd be slapping each other on the back and howling drunken sea shantys by closing time.

As is the norm for the Coens, the film is filled to the brim with affectionately idiosyncratic (albeit) grotesque characters which are performed to perfection by the cast no matter how small their role. The willingness of the otherwise attractive Sari Lennick to be made up to look like John Travolta in drag is a thoroughly commendable trait and she portrays the stoic, hard line Judith with an unsettling mixture of ferocity and allure. Stuhlbarg is a revelation as Larry, a good man forsaken by his friends, family and God, struggling to maintain a smiling face against insurmountable adversity, interpreting the divine hand of Hashem utilising the only rational tool at his disposal - mathematics. His slow descent from confident, authoritative, rational scientist to blubbering, emotional, God-fearing wreck is utterly convincing.

Larry lectures in quantum mechanics, a discipline of physics encapsulated by the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle - "you can never really be sure what's going on" - and much of the audience will possess a sound understanding of this principle when the film collides abruptly with its finale. But naturally, this wouldn't be a true Coen film if all the pieces fell together too easily! It also wouldn't be a Coen without the obligatory moment of spontaneous blinding violence!

So what is the meaning of this film? Hmmm, don't fuck with a vengeful Old Testament God who acts in ways akin to the uncertainties of Bohr theory? Maybe. As with the best films of this ilk, the thematic entanglements are open to interpretation but one thing is certain, A Serious Man is seriously good!

9 out of 10.

Chris Iacofano
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Chris Iacofano   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Iacofano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stu nailed this film as far as I'm concerned. Spot-on performances and art direction round out the most intellectually challenging Coen production to date. Easily up there with Barton Fink in the dark humor department while relying on relatively unknown actors. I have little love for the films that they've made in the last 10 years but this one redeemed them in my eyes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: