Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Paranormal Activity (2009)

Author Topic: Paranormal Activity (2009)
Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 01:44 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A skeptical San Diego stock trader buys a video camera to capture evidence of the demon that his girlfriend claims has been following her throughout her life. He looses his skepticism, and right quickly too.

So this is basically The Exorcist meets the original The Haunting via The Blair Witch Project, in fact, the whole “this footage was found by the police” conceit is taken so far that there is no studio logo, titles or credits, just a single copyright board. And it’s . . . OK. Not really very scary and nowhere near worth the hype, every potentially frightening moment is telegraphed in advance by ominous sound effects (and let it be said that the filmmakers have seen the aforementioned The Haunting many, many times, and it shows, with many visual and sound refrences).

On the plus side: the performers are very good, and the actress who plays the young woman is actually pretty terrific. It certainly doesn't drag either. It builds up gradually scare-wise to the conclusion, but it does go on for a little too long. Also, they are smart enough to leave most of the visuals to your imagination and not to show too much, although the last shot is a real eye-roller. [Roll Eyes]

Worth a $6.00 before noon matinee, but probably not much more.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2009 08:10 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate scary movies, never been a fan of horror. That said, we've been playing this for the past two weeks. Two weeks ago, we only played it Thursday, Friday and Saturday at Midnight. Then opened it up this past Friday to a full schedule. I watched it on Friday and I have to say I wasn't really scared. It has its moments and a few WTF moments. Its worth checking out, if not just to see what you can do with an $11,000 budget.

3/5 [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-29-2009 09:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the alternate ending that everyone says is so much better than the theatrtical ending:

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=15591&count=0

I think that ending was, perhaps, the second most stupid thing I have ever seen. I am glad that I didn't see the entire movie. It is only better than Blair Witch because the camera wasn't having a constant spaz attack. By the way, that's a hell of a tape in that camera. I gotta go to Best Buy and look for one o' them 24+ hour High Definition videotapes!

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2009 02:59 AM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, that's a hell of a tape in that camera. I gotta go to Best Buy and look for one o' them 24+ hour High Definition videotapes!
The boyfriend character makes it a point to show that the camera is feeding to a computer via firewire.

I found it extremely creepy. I think they could've done more with the nighttime portions, since I think they went almost too far with the "let your imagination do the work" theory... but it's quite effective.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-30-2009 02:15 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets put it this way:
At least I was getting paid to screen it.

Put it another way:
If I was a demon following some woman and her husband was that annoying/moronic, I'd kill him too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: