Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Zombieland (2009) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Zombieland (2009)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-04-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #8, 35mm SR-D. No presentation problems.

A zombie comedy! I liked it. Thought at first it was going to go a certain direction that would be "conventional" for a zombie movie, but then it kind of went another direction, and it sort of works. Heh heh.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

The nerdy kid channels Michael Cera to the point where I wanted to strangle him. Note to filmmakers: Either hire Michael Cera and let him do his thing, or write a different character.

Love that the girls repeatedly outsmart the guys.

That said, this was entertaining and I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2009 10:16 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a well made Zomedy (see what I did there haha) Everyone I think fit well into their part, Woody was great. I like how they would show the rules randomly when they would follow one of them.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-05-2009 10:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good movie that I enjoyed. I might rent it again on Blu-ray, but probably won't buy it. MUCH better than that turd Shawn of the Dead which, I'm told, is supposed to be funny but seemed more like a serious zombie movie to me that was too long for its own good.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-09-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 18
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Dolby Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Three stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: The Zombie genre meets the road movie genre and spits out a sort of...I don't know...campy romantic comedy? Wackiness ensues.

Well that was fun. Not sure why...but it was.

Tom Inglis
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2009 07:02 AM      Profile for Tom Inglis   Email Tom Inglis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While not quite up to the standards of Shaun of the Dead, this is clearly the best the US can manage in the ZomCom genre.

I really enjoyed the ride, which took me completely by surprise. All the performances were spot on, and i for one love Jesse Eisenberg.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2009 03:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Inglis
this is clearly the best the US can manage in the ZomCom genre.
Nationalize much?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2009 07:31 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Inglis
While not quite up to the standards of Shaun of the Dead, this is clearly the best the US can manage in the ZomCom genre.
Don't forget that without George A. Romero's masterpiece 'Dawn Of The Dead' (an American movie), there would literally be no 'Shaun Of The Dead'. That's where the idea for the movie came from, not to mention the title itself.

Tom Inglis
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2009 02:37 AM      Profile for Tom Inglis   Email Tom Inglis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I clearly didn't say anything about an inability to make good films, or anything about the zombie genre as a whole.

I love and admire the US for the films it makes, but the sense of humours of our great nations are very different, and to me, the US idea of a comedy can never really approach ours.

Which isn't to say the US doesn't produce great comedy... just... oh dear, i should probably just stop now.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-12-2009 04:25 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think that would be best.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great!! Had me laghing my ass off the whole thing through!

Joe, how could you not like Shawn of the Dead?? Next thing you'll say is you didn't like Hot Fuzz either!

Definetely Entertaining. Loved the Bill Murray tie in [thumbsup]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2009 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, watch those spoilers!

I didn't like Shawn of the Dead because it was boring. Also, everyone smoked in that movie which made me not care about one single character. I don't care much for its star, either. Hot Fuzz looked retarded (known as "spastic" overseas).

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2009 08:49 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, "spastic" is an extremely offensive term over here in the UK and you will almost never hear it in any films or conversations.

I like both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. perhaps its an english thing, but most people over here love them both!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-17-2009 02:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Hot Fuzz looked "spastic". Very much so.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-17-2009 02:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So Joe thinks the movie is spastic (retarded). Some people like to smoke fags (cigarettes). Big deal, no reason to let it get to you.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-17-2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Hot Fuzz was reasonably entertaining. But it sure wasn't great as the dog's bollocks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: