Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » HAEUNDAE (2009) South Korea

Author Topic: HAEUNDAE (2009) South Korea
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-03-2009 09:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HAEUNDAE, is a 2009 South Korean disaster film and is currently a big hit in that country and a lot of people are flocking to see it. The film is playing an exclusive run at Reading international's Consolidated Theatres in three houses here in Honolulu. I do not think HAEUNDAE has a US film distributer so the film is only playing in Hawaii because of the popularity of Korean TV dramas here and Hawaii sizable Korean population. I saw the film today at the Kapolei 16 Theatre and found the movie a dreadful bore. Hueundae is an actual resort city in the southern part of South Korea and the film is about a mega Tsunami that hits the city . The movie has a playing time of almost two hours and more than an hour and a half is devoted to character development before the Tsunami strikes the city and was extremely boring. Much of it shows people yelling and cursing each other. The film was directed by a film maker who is very well known for comedies. and much of the movie is played that way and this was turn off for me. The movie opens during the Indonesian Tsunami in 2004 when a huge wave capsizes a ship on the open sea and this was another thing I did not like about the film because all boats are perfectly safe in the open ocean during a Tsunami. A smaller boat again is destroyed closer to shore but it should not have because it was far away from the coast. The picture quality of the film in scope was also dreadful. There was no excuse for a movie that was released this year to have a terrible print quality with a extremely faded look , low contrast and terrible color. The film was released only in SRD and I saw the movie in a DTS house so I watched it only in Dolby SR. Our local newspaper film reviewer gave the movie two and a half stars but I give it only----

0 Stars out of 4

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: