Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » SURROGATES (2009)

Author Topic: SURROGATES (2009)
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 12:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Regal's Movies at Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn NY
AUDITORIUM: 2
PRESENTATION: Film, SRD
PRESENTATION QUALITY: Unremarkable
MPAA - PG-13
RATING: 2/5

Uh oh, the machines are robbing us of our humanity....again! What a concept. Rage against the machines. The world is now occupied by robots that are activated by humans who sit in comfortable chairs, isolated and experiencing all manner of stuff vicariously thru their surrogates but without the danger of real life. This robots taking over the world thing has been done so much it's a cliche. Given the issue of even today people spend half their wakeing lives texting and Twittering and on FaceBook, MyPage, communication to friends in half sentences on 3in LDC screens, the provocative theme of isolation by virtue of technology could have been very interestingly explored, but this thing decends into a mediocre who-done-it and action chases -- none of which is particularly exciting or compelling.

And no one explains why these experiences can't be done in a virtual reality and why they need these robot automitons to accomplish what should be all in the mind. But allowing that major concept flaw, this thing still sucks.

First of all, given the fact that thru the surrogates, individuals can do ANYTHING the mind can conceive, I was expecting to see some really wild and crazy stuff (if you know what I mean). But they kept this quite PG -- a major disappointment. I mean, if the idea of the surrogates is that people were no longer restricted and could do whatever they could "think," then the really interesting questions of what is moral or immoral were never broached.

So basically you wind up with a good guy vs. bad guys mystery where the bad guys are mostly robots gone evil, and Bruce Willis is walking thru his lines in a role that fits him like a glove and just about as dull.

I found it boring and with special effects that we have all seen done, over and over again al la TERMINATOR(s), I ROBOT, ARTIFICIAL INTELLEGENCE, etc. The outcome was painfully predictable, the "suspense" was, well, actually, there wasn't any. How many times can you see a countdown clock while someone frantically tries to disarm the bomb (in this case a virus)? BORING, especially since you have figured out how this is going to end by the 4th reel.

Good idea with a very unsatisfying follow-through.

|  IP: Logged

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2009 01:35 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was the cinematography?

Were all of the cool shots in the trailer?

I agree that it is disappointing that films with such good premises seemed to be explored on very shallow levels.

As good writing is probably far cheaper than 10-camera coverage of an intricate car chase or stunts or pyrotechnics, you would think that story-telling, the most important part of the movie would be covered on a good premise like this.

Assuming that you can see it for free, is it worth seeing? [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scope cinematography was decent some very interesting compostion and choreography in the chases with CG shots that gave a good sence of spacious movement, but like you say, the greatest cinematograph and technical quality can hold your interest for short spurts and even then just marginally, at least for people over 13 yrs old. I kept longing for something to sink my teeth into story-wise.

I don't know how to answer your question about being worth it because I love movies so I can find stuff entertaining in even mediocre films. Let's put it this way, I was entertained for the two hours and I paid an admission yet I didn't leave looking for a manager to give the finger to. That's the best I can say for it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-27-2009 06:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The world is now occupied by robots that are activated by humans who sit in comfortable chairs,
So they stole the WALL-E scenario.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-28-2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, they stole EVERYTHING! Half the time I thought I was watching a cross between TERMINATOR, I ROBOT, and DIE HARD.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they had to make a role "worthy of Bruce Willis" [Wink]

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I didn't leave looking for a manager to give the finger to."

I like that analogy.

So, it's better than most of the movies that have come out this fall. Still doesn't say much for the movie, but it sounds like you found it at least watchable. I've found most of the movies we've been getting lately are not even worth watching even when you are getting to watch them for free.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Elliott
I've found most of the movies we've been getting lately are not even worth watching even when you are getting to watch them for free.
I agree. Fortunately, two very good movies are opening on Friday!

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2009 08:16 AM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems, Geoff, as if the lull between the summer blockbusters and the fall movies is also fed "crap movies" similar to the ones put out shortly after the beginning of a calendar year.

This is probably due to the drop in attendance with kiddies going back to school and being so busy with this to the preclusion of all else.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2009 01:07 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to Toy Story & Toy Story 2.

The only good movies any more are old movies.

[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: