Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jennifer's Body (2009)

Author Topic: Jennifer's Body (2009)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 09-20-2009 10:57 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 19
PRESENTATION: Kinoton 35mm, Dolby Digital, THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

THE PLOT: An indie band takes a shortcut to making it big. Wackiness ensues.

Well, we've got a part horror, part dark comedy, part high school drama here. Jennifer is not quite a zombie, not quite a vampire. The best parts of the movie are the sex scenes...one great inexperienced teen sex scene, and one with quite possibly the hottest girl-girl kiss ever. One of the funniest lines in the movie is Jennifer's comment about anal sex. Having said that, there's also no nudity.

I guess they were hoping to get a cult classic out of this, and I don't think they will. But as teen high school horror flicks go, it's a pretty good effort.

|  IP: Logged

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2009 12:51 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Six Reels

102 min.

DTS/DTTS/Dolby/SR

Potential Problem: On IN #3, I think, the internegative from which our print was struck, the IN not only appears to have been particularly dirty (lots of white dust and dirt flecks, but there was actually damage to the point that they crudely cut out a piece of a scene, with a particularly-noisy lab splice.

On second thought, they don't always send each reel from the same IN, so I am going to have to go back and manually check tonight.

Again, it was on the 3rd or 4th reel that I saw this. Maybe our print was made near the end of the IN's run. Can anyone else confirm this?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Karl...that sounds like a GREAT movie.

Please use the 'SPOILER' feature in future though so as not to give so much away to those who may want to watch it. [Roll Eyes]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An OK way to spend some time, but nothing to get excited about. Amanda Seyfried is WAY better looking than Megan Fox, and a much better actress. The lack of passion shown by Megan really hurt the film...she needed to be much more darkly sensual instead of preppy cute. Script is weak with some tired teen cliche's.

This one gets a "C".

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 06:25 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: Thanks for jumping all over me for posting in the incorrect thread.

Maybe when I am a "film god" I will be immune to making mistakes, but, in the interim, can you please cut the new guy some slack?

Thanks.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2009 10:29 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad, but needs titties.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-05-2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for saving me a couple of hours, Chris! [Wink]

John, you are TOOO funny! [rofl] LOL!

Karl.. don't worry. Everyone gets ribbed at first. It's a rite of passage; an initiation of sorts. Just roll with it, and you can pick on the next guy. [Big Grin]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-05-2009 11:34 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Karl Borowski
John: Thanks for jumping all over me for posting in the incorrect thread.

Maybe when I am a "film god" I will be immune to making mistakes, but, in the interim, can you please cut the new guy some slack?

Thanks.

A simple 'oops' would have worked just as well for you.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-06-2009 12:03 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thanks for saving me a couple of hours, Chris!
Actually, Sam first mentioned the lack of nudity. That's a deal-breaker for me. What the hell kind of dying teenager movie leaves out the obligatory naked titty scene? We have a tradition to uphold!

This is the R-rated movie of today. We'll have some bloody violence to get the R-rating even though broadcast network TV could air something just as gruesome. How about an episode of Gray's Anatomy where a patient's neck wound is showering the ER with a geyser of blood?

In the old days when we were kids we would have pin ups of sexy women on our walls. What are kids supposed to do these days, pin up bloody crime scene photos?
[Confused]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-11-2009 04:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, that's an interesting comparison. In the old days, they'd show a titty and a bush or two for an R rating...

Btw, my apologies to Evil Sam for overlooking his nudity comment. [Smile]

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2009 12:59 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit that I only watched this one to see Megan Fox.. But Damn this was time I'll never get back and god I wish I could! [puke] Friends don't let friends see this movie!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-15-2009 01:30 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
This is the R-rated movie of today. We'll have some bloody violence to get the R-rating even though broadcast network TV could air something just as gruesome.
It's kind of strange how almost all of the "nudity" in mainstream R-rated films today is of men, and is often done for comic effect by using old disgusting men. (See "The Hangover") This is NOT a welcome trend!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-15-2009 03:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, see (or more importantly, don't) 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-15-2009 07:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Observe and Report really pushed unpleasant looking nudity to a new extreme. Observe and Report was Rated R for "pervasive language, graphic nudity, drug use, sexual content and violence."

I had a bad feeling that "graphic nudity" blurb meant that it was not the good (attractive female) kind of nudity. And I was right! On the upside, you do get to see some exposed female breasts in a dressing room. That's not much conciliation for what else you get to see.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: