Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009)

Author Topic: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (2009)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-10-2009 12:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advance screening during the Rocky Mountain Theatre Convention in Salt Lake City.

Real-D 3D, flawless presentation and experience courtesy of the Megaplex 17 at Jordon Commons staff.

This was my first experience watching a whole movie in 3-D. Up to now I had seen a couple of "demo" presentations at previous conventions.

The movie was a pretty standard Sony animation presentation with humor along the same lines as Open Season. Very fast-paced and action packed, with a ridiculous yet fun story line.

The plot of course involves an outcast who invents a machine which rains food. Trouble ensues when the food gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

The 3-D effects were OK (but the movie will work fine in 2-D as well). The glasses were less uncomfortable than I expected but my eyes started feeling dry after an hour or so. The picture (on a screen probably around 40 feet wide) was somewhat dull looking thanks to the 3-D glasses.

I would say, overall, my reaction was "pretty good," so a solid 3 out of 5. My wife was a little more impressed and gives it a 3.5. We both agreed that the movie would have been just as good without 3-D and Lynn said her eyes started feeling tired after a half-hour or so.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-10-2009 03:05 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
was somewhat dull looking thanks to the 3-D glasses.

the dullness comes from that low 4.5 fL compared to the ususal 12 to 16 fL with film and even brighter with digital.

You take the glasses off and suddenly, the picture looks nice an bright..

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2009 11:14 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this movie at the local Carmike in Real-D 3D. The picture has horrible keystoning issues and did not begin to fill the screen making the movie look like I was watching a TV with about the same wuality sound as TV. The picture however was bright with good colors and no gohsting. Didnt see too much 3-d though.

THe movie itself was much better than expected. It has a grat story that keeps you intertained and laughing throughout. One of the better animated movies of this year no doubt.

7/10

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: