Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » X GAMES 3-D THE MOVIE

Author Topic: X GAMES 3-D THE MOVIE
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-22-2009 08:28 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity got the best of me today when I decided to go to the Kapolei 16 to check out their new Dolby 3-D system and saw X GAMES 3-D THE MOVIE. Unlike MY BLODDY VALENTINE the first Dolby 3-D presentation I saw at the Ward 16 a couple of months ago which had a extremely dark projected image, the movie I saw today was not bad at all. When I looked at the image on the screen without glasses, the picture was fairly bright and very acceptable when I put the glasses on. Beside the feature, there were three Disney trailers all in 3-D for TOY STORY #1 & #2 (Double Feature), A CHRISTMAS CAROL and ALICE IN WONDERLAND. There was also a trailer in 3-D from Fox for AVATAR and it was exactly the same one that can be seen online.

How was the movie? X GAME 3-D THE MOVIE was the kind of thing you would see on ESPN without the 3-D and in fact it was a ESPN film distributed by the Walt Disney Company. There were many parts that were extremely boring but the skateboard competition was exciting. All the time is was on, I kept telling myself these guys are nuts to risk life and limbs for some money and possibly a trophy. The 3-D was pretty good and many times very effective especially the wide angle shots. The movie will flop because there was only one other person wIth me in a two hundred seat auditorium at the 12:00 noon show today. It is playing only for a week and will be replaced by FINAL DESTINATION-DEATH TRIP next Friday in 3-D.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 02:58 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a waste of a screen this was. I like the X-Games and enjoy them when they roll around in June or when ever and the winter as well. But this movie had no value at all. Yes you did get a little behind the scenes stuff here and there but for the most part it was a condensed X-Games recap show. Only thing that I did think looked good was the Rally Car segment in the stadium. For the most part I thought the 3D was lacking and added nothing to the movie at all.

1.3/5 [thumbsup]

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 11:34 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And did anyone else notice that on the interview sections, they blurred the peoples faces slightly. I kept checking the focus, but I realized, everything else in frame was in focus, the only thing out of focus was their faces. Did they do that so peoples noses won't look so big in 3D?

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2009 01:10 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! That was bugging me. I really noticed the blurred face in Shaun White's interview.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: