Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, "ladies and gents": "Mr. Potter" is growing up!

The last two movies that needs to be made should really top this fable off.

4/5 for me.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 04:00 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte
Topic: "Mr. Potter," the VI
Monte,

Did you have a brain fart with that subject header?

Adam's not going to be happy... [thumbsdown]

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2009 06:11 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
real title [Razz]
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)

--

I actually quite enjoyed it. It's too early for me to rank, but it's up there at the top of the six so far.

Fairly dark themes for a PG rating.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 06:48 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it as well. I know there will be a ton of bitching about what was left out from the books.

The only negative feeling I took away from the movie was that it was very open-ended and left too much unanswered. Obviously this is something that couldn't be help with what's still to come. It's pretty much the same feeling I had at the end of The Fellowship of the Ring. The only reason why I bother to mention this point is because the previous movies all felt like self contained stories and when the movie was over, you felt like that chapter of the story was done.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-14-2009 08:41 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
[splode]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-14-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey Adam, you can smile now .. I was having a 'bit of fun'

I could easily tolerate seeing it again.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2009 01:01 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's a ringing endorsement.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 02:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I did like about it is that this film's story and plot got things back on track - to get ready for the last book - one big shooting so it can be split for the two upcoming releases.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 06:49 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was generally good, but I think they blew the ending by not following the book a bit closer. The ending for this one could have been and should have been really really good, but they chose a different direction for some reason and it was a bit of a disappointment for me. But I still liked it, and will probably see it again.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2009 07:35 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard a few negative comments about the ending. I think this one is "pretty good" but not overwhelmingly so, according to comments I'm hearing.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm torn on this one. I rather liked the previous movie, and don't think this one stacks up, despite the sixth book being better than the fifth. I think the four main protagonists (Harry, Hermione, Ron, Dumbledore) are well developed in this movie, although Hermione and Ron take a backseat that betrays their relationship with Harry, as depicted in the previous movies and all the books. Dumbledore is especially effective, which is as it should be. Even Malfoy is well written.

Some of the other characters, however, get the shaft. This is a big deal, because this particular part of the story is entirely about setting the characters up for the home stretch.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

In closing, I think that, as long as this movie was, it almost could've been a bit longer. I think this one needed a two-movie treatment more than the finale, most of which can be covered by a montage, but obviously that wouldn't have been commercially practical. Also, there isn't really a climactic bit towards the middle to separate it into two.

Tom Inglis
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2009 08:33 AM      Profile for Tom Inglis   Email Tom Inglis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they haven't axed the dreadful epilogue...

But anyway, the film.

I thought the film, as a film, was near perfect. Everything felt necessary, well done and essential.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2009 10:40 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the key to fully comprehending this collection of Harry Potter movies is in having read the corresponding novels. Each film has amounted to a greatest hits compilation of favourite bits from the book with the background details filled in by the book readers' own fore knowledge and enthusiasm for the material. Pity us poor non book readers, then, as we attempt to decipher the relevance/importance of the included set pieces and how they fit in to the central narrative. This sixth instalment in the series, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, does not break this mould. Even the central premise of the film stretches credulity; Draco Malfoy is recruited by Voldemort to assassinate Professor Dumbledore, one of the most respected and powerful good guys in the wizardry league. Sure, and let's enlist a school girl to take out Dirty Harry while we're at it! Perhaps the justification for the believability of this premise is in the detail missing from the film. The book readers will know.

Another of the films great mysteries is why it is two and a half hours long when, frankly, not much happens in it. The fault lies in a sloppy script which contains little action but much soap opera and relies heavily on character dialogue to interpret the transpiring events. Given that the next book is to be stretched over 2 movies, be prepared for an even sloppier script. Maybe the producers should have hired Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh to look over the scripts given their success in distilling Tolkien's vastly complicated work into a script which, while taking extensive licence, was spiritually congruent with it's source? Indeed, had they sighted the Half Blood Prince script, they may have pointed out that having Harry and Dumbledore stranded on a tiny island in a subterranean lake being attacked by an army of Smeagols is perhaps just a teeny weeny bit close to a scene from The Hobbit.

Many lyricals have been waxed over how dark this entry is, and there's even a death in it, but when a crowded suspension bridge is destroyed in London and every soul miraculously gets off the bridge safely, you know the film really isn't that dark! Of course this doesn't stop the following morning's paper reporting on the "rising death toll"; apparently the Potterverse papers hold little regard for journalistic integrity.

Character development is virtually nonexistant, even after Harry beats a fellow student to within half a millimetre of his life, with the exception of a 3 second shot of Harry briefly considering the ramifications of his actions, his overall character arc remains unchanged. Every other character departs the film as they entered. Indeed, in retrospect, there has been little character development throughout the entire series.

However, despite this there are performances to enjoy. Jim Broadbent is particularly delightful, playing to his strengths as the jovial Horace Slughorn. As Luna Lovegood, Evanna Lynch's refreshing quirkiness steals all her scenes with her gorgeous ditzyness. Emma Watson and Rupert Grint hold up their end of the bargain and Daniel Radcliffe does what he can with Potter who always was the dullest character. Bonnie Wright is easy to warm to as Ginny Weasley.

As the franchise approaches the business end of its story arc and the Potter Lore correspondingly compounds in its complexity, the movies become increasingly incoherent due to their "greatest hits" mentality. It's as if a lot of critical details have been left out in order to make room for detail which is crowd-pleasing but ultimately inconsequential; a problem which compounds with each succeeding film; the deeper the lore, the more it gets glossed over. This will be a particular challenge for the last entry in the series due for release late next year which will need to draw all these threads, missing or otherwise, into an intelligible whole.

5 out of 10.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-19-2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stu, I sometimes wish I could watch the Harry Potter movies without the knowledge of the books, just to see how they hold together.

Although I presume most of the deviations from the story are done for the sake of time and to minimize the number of characters, I had also assumed the point was to try and keep the plot understandable for those who have not read the books. But it appears they have failed on that last.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-19-2009 03:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yo Justin, If you want to have a quick lesson on Potter, take a peek at Wiki Potter and you'll then know what is going on.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: