Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ice Age 3 (2009)

Author Topic: Ice Age 3 (2009)
Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the kids will love it, It was well made thought the animation was quite good and the sound mix was also passable in analogue.(no dts available)
I guess we all new roughly what to expect with this one. I did think it lacked some of the wit the others had and one character stole the show a bit too much.

3 out of 5 from me.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Inglis
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 05:58 AM      Profile for Tom Inglis   Email Tom Inglis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a film, and from a purely adult perspective, i thought it was utterly, utterly awful. With only one redeeming feature (Buck), it failed to have any wit, charm or purpose.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with Tom.

My review is that the Ice Age franchise should have stopped after the original which was actually a very good animated movie.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 06:04 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother with the 3-D, having seen both 2-D and 3-D (server problems) I really can't see the need for 3-D in this film apart from the gimmic effect. UP on the other hand is made for 3-D!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2009 07:11 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the 3D worked well, it brings depth to the animation and looked good on all the valley shots. Liked the lack of 'jumping out' shots, they look silly.

This was a well made by the numbers Hollywood CGI kids film, and I was surprised at how much I laughed. Simon Pegg did a good job with the Buck character. Scrat and Scratte were funny, as were a couple of the scenes (the laughing bit was stupidly funny). Overall a 3 out of 5.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-04-2009 07:03 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this in 2D and felt pretty much the same as I did about the first two movies. Most of the comedy was rather dumb and I didn't really care for it. I also think some of the innuendos were a little risque for a kids movie - "milking" the male yak for sure.

Movies like Ice Age make me more appreciative of the story telling ability of Pixar.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-05-2009 12:41 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real sting is that when a theatre has both 35mm and 3D.....

Folks with kids are going for the value - why spend up to 20 bucks extra for a movie that can be seen normally for less?

Also, have all noticed the 3D release schedule for this year? Only two films are live action whereas the others are either animated or CGA films...sorta of a beginning to a limited audience thing here..

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-05-2009 01:14 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty good, but too much bathroom humor for a kids' movie. The PG was well-earned.

That said, the dialogue was my favorite part. It was witty in a lot of spots, you have to admit. The implausible story line seems to be a feature of all Ice Age movies and sure enough, there's one here too. (What happened to the big melt-down from the last movie?) "Another world under the real world?" They're reaching. For at least 75% of this movie, there's no "ice" to be seen.

The Diego chase scene (when he's first introduced in the movie) was my favorite part. Great action and sound there -- I wanted the scene to go on longer.

I thought the best Scrat segment was the one where they are trapped in bubbles. Very Wile-E-Coyote-like. The one at the end of the film was a major disappointment. Anticlimactic.

Overall -- for myself I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars. It's doing killer business for us too and people are giving it thumbs-up on exiting, so on that basis it's excellent!

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-05-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie is pleasantly entertaining but not great. I might have enjoyed it more if the fader had been set higher -- audio level was barely adequate. The print looked great, clean, nice and crisp image, good color, no lab splices, but reels 2 & 4 were not very steady (other reels were fine). The SR-D audio fell out to analog several times near the beginning of one reel (3 I think).

I give it 2.5 out of 5. Might have scored higher if the sound level were more to my preference.

Today at Cinemark 17 in Springfield, #13, 35mm 2-D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: