Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Disney/Pixar "UP" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Disney/Pixar "UP"
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-28-2009 01:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After doing an install at one of our plexes with a digital (NEC 1600) unit and "RealD", we sat down and screened this movie - mainly to check everything out prior to opening night.

One of the better Pixar films to come out - should really attract the masses of all ages due to the two main characters in the movie "Mr. Fredrickson and Russell".

A very strange, yet growing "buddy movie" between the two characters - both become heroes in the movie...in their own special way.

Ed Asner did a great job voicing his assigned character, in as well as Christopher Plummer as the adventurer.

4/5 for me on this one..

Just wish it was in Scope - Monte

|  IP: Logged

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2009 02:18 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened this the other night and I have to say this is now in the top three of the best Pixar films for me. Loved everything about it, I really liked the fact that they didn't use alot of gags with the 3D, it made you feel more like you were immersed in the movie. The voice work was great. Also watched the Toy Story 3 teaser, which is nothing more then the characters making the sign for the movie. But it got me excited for it.

Also a side note, watching this movie in 3D never made my eyes hurt or my head hurt like Monsters vs Aliens did. In MvsA I had to take the glasses off a couple times and rub my eyes before watching more. Never had that feeling in UP!

Solid 4/5 [thumbsup]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 01:54 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, before I say anything else, I should point out that I prefer 35mm over DLP, and that am I extremely critical of 3D, particularly Real D. Perhaps I should've located a venue that was not showing it in Real D, and from a Sony no less.

Also, I wasn't floored by the various advertising that I saw for Up like I was for Wall•E, but I always give Pixar a go, so here we go.

This was one of the most fantastic movies I have seen in a long, long time. If there is a group of people who know how to properly employ 3D, it is called Pixar Animation Studios. Absolutely phenomenal, without compare, above reproach. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I liked the 3D. The movie itself delivers just about what you would expect from Pixar, a straight slam dunk. While the plots are pretty straightforward and even transparent, it is always about the characters, and performs so well on that level that you could play the first 15 minutes (if I had to guess, because I couldn't tear my eyes from the screen to check my watch) and have a winner, but it goes on to continue delivering. Speaking of tear and my eyes, I found myself with tears welling up at numerous points because of the complexity and depth of the characters. I'm a manly man, too. I don't cry, I didn't even know I had functioning tear ducts, reasoning that they had atrophied from years of disuse. I thought I couldn't love another Pixar movie as much as I love Wall•E, but Up gives it a run for its money.

Go see it now, and for Pete's sake, bring a handkerchief, because anyone who doesn't have at least a moist eye is dead inside.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-29-2009 02:11 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blown away. Again.

I was sniffling a half hour in. Considering the end of Monster's Inc, I can say that Pete Doctor is the best at tugging at your heart strings without overdoing it.

I plan on watching it twice more tomorrow, one more time in 3D and once without.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2009 04:23 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been rated PG over here which surprises me a bit. The sub is 'some scary scenes'. Would you agree? Can I still take my young children (aged 3 and 6) to see it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-29-2009 05:02 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, the 'scary scenes' are there, but what draws the "PG" is towards the end when there are adult themes at play...and a touch of adult violence..

Yet, just staying neutral on the recommended age group...a personal matter here..

Still a great flick though - should be a winner for this summer.

-Monte

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 01:37 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, that is a hard question to answer. I once had a woman berate me because she took her children to see Kung Fu Panda, and how dare it be rated PG and not PG13. Clearly, different people have differing views on what is appropriate.

I, personally, would take my hypothetical children. Probably what is the most frightening scene for children is in the television commercials already (you will be frightened and affected by completely different scenes, which your kids will barely notice), and the cartoon violence is far less graphic than television shows I watched as a kid, although the impact and consequences of those actions is portrayed more realistically. I'd say, if you have concerns, go check it out for yourself first. You won't regret seeing it, and you'll be more comfortable taking your kids if you decide to do so.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2009 03:45 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen Up, but:

The MPAA/CARA (Classifications and Ratings Authority) says "Rating Reason: Rated PG for some peril and action."

The New York Times' Manohla Dargis, whose sense of such things I trust (though I'm not a parent), says, "“Up” is rated PG (Parental guidance suggested). A wee bit of gentle action and a climactic fight scene, but nothing inappropriate for any viewer of any age."

I think you're probably fine.
If you really want the gory gory details, check out the category-by-category analysis at sites like kids in mind and Parent Previews. The former has stuff like:

quote:

SEX/NUDITY 1 - A husband and his wife kiss. A husband and his wife hold hands and hug. A wife caresses her husband's face. A man kisses a picture of his now deceased wife.
VIOLENCE/GORE 3 - A man with a cane strikes another man in the head, the man falls to the ground and we see blood on his head). A man with a sword threatens another man with a cane, they fight, and one man spits out his dentures at the other man
SUBSTANCE USE - Two men hold glasses of champagne, and a dog opens a bottle of champagne and pours two glasses.

My personal favorite from the gore/violence section (I admit, I laugh at this stuff):
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

--jhawk

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty to look at and the 3D was fantastic, but too much sad and not enough funny for my taste.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 06:55 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine the scares in Up will be entirely commensurate with the scares in other Pixar films. A friend of mine has a particularly timid tyke and she balks at taking her to a Pixar film because there always is a somewhat frightening scene (or 2) in them.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2009 10:17 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Up in 3D, and it looked really fantastic. The colors were bright and there was a lot to look at in each scene. I loved the opening of the movie, with the little boy watching the newsreel.

The characters were probably the most real and fully developed I've ever seen in an animated movie. I enjoyed watching them.

I give it 4 1/5 of 5 stars, only because I didn't buy into the talking dogs.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2009 04:35 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carol May
I give it 4 1/5 of 5 stars, only because I didn't buy into the talking dogs.

The talking dogs were the deal breaker for you? Really? [Smile]

The whole thing had a weird sense of the unreal, from the balloons floating the house, to the focus on the famously fictional "snipes."

It was definitely charming, and had a lot of brilliant poignancy... but it was all so wacky. I'd recommend it, and I'll probably see it again, but it didn't blow my socks off.

Saw it in 35mm 2D at AMC Flatirons Crossing in Broomfield, CO. Focus was annoyingly soft in the bottom half of the screen, and the rumble from Night at the Museum next door was occasionally distracting. If I see it again in the theatre, it won't be there. (I was also very bummed that the Toy Story 3 teaser wasn't attached.)

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-31-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Kerasotes Star Cinema 16 and IMAX, Council Bluffs, IA
AUDITORIUM: 11
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/RealD 3-D
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

I buy my ticket ($6.50! Not bad), go to the auditorium, sit down, notice all the other patrons fiddling with their RealD glasses, get up, go back to the ticket desk, say "You didn't give me glasses", get the glasses and an apology, go back to the auditorium, and sit down.

The first thing that runs after First Look is the Dolby Digital Cinema trailer in 2D. HUH? They have a Dolby server and they went with RealD? Then the "put your fucking glasses on assholes" slide comes on and everything else is 3-D. The audience acts as if they've never seen 3-D through the trailers. Lots of freaking out and giggling.

THE PLOT: A public nuisance escapes the clutches of authority. Wackiness ensues.

As previously noted, the movie opens with a touching and beautiful montage. If it ended right there, I would have given it four stars. It doesn't, of course.

From here forward, it plays like a Lord of the Rings installment. A little setup and a long boring walk in the woods. No talking trees, though. Thank goodness.

The 3-D is so subtle that you really could see this movie either way (3-D or 2-D) and not feel cheated.

Since nobody else has mentioned it, yes, there's a short. It's about storks. It's adorable in a sickening sort of way.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-31-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geoff Jones
(I was also very bummed that the Toy Story 3 teaser wasn't attached.)
Only attached for digital 3D presentations. Anyone showing this in digital 2D?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-31-2009 08:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #15, NEC 2K DLP + RealD 3D.

The movie is very good, loved the characters & story. Another Pixar movie with "heart". I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

In his review, Roger Ebert noted that there's no reason to see this in 3D. He said it might look better in 2D, where you'll get a brighter image and more saturated color. He's right. This is the first 3D movie I've seen where I actually noticed a lack of brightness, especially in the lengthy scenes that take place at night and in a darkly-lit, um, zeppelin. I was flipping my 3D glasses up and down to see what their effect is on brightness, and they make a pretty big difference (no news there but I never felt inclined to check that before now).

Even without the glasses though, some scenes seem dim. How much light loss does the RealD polarizer cause?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: