Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Terminator 4 ...by McG (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Terminator 4 ...by McG
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2009 03:31 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to make use of Adam's new spoiler tags here.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Actually there really is nothing to spoil here, because this is the worst movie I've seen in at least a year. I was tremendously leery going into this, but as someone who enjoyed the first 3 Terminator movies, I figured it couldn't be TOO awful. Boy was I wrong!

McG sucks, sucks, sucks!!! McG is not only the stupidest name for a director EVER, but as I was watching this I came to the realization that McG is basically the end result if Michael Bay and Ed Wood were to co-direct a movie. It is either ridiculously flashy and overdone cgi, or godawful performances poorly thrown together into some hint of a movie.

Christian Bale was awful in this. He just doesn't fit the John Connor role. Likewise Chekov had no business playing Kyle Reese. Everyone else sucked McG ass too.

1/2 out of 5 stars and an open letter to McG:
Mr. McG. You suck. You suck really bad. I hate you and your shitty movies. That Charlie's Angels turdfest movie you made a few years ago was bad enough, but this is just taking your lack of talent too far. I hope James Cameron has the decency to hunt you down and make you pay for embarrassing him by shitting on his Terminator movies the way you did on this one. And did I mention you suck? I did? Oh well, it deserves to be said again. You suck!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-21-2009 03:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was too bad, much better than Terminator 3 but nowhere near as good as parts 1 and 2. This movie was directed by McDonalds or something. There was some shaky cam but it wasn't too terribly bad (nor great, of course). This movie is in black and white. At least I don't remember seeing any color. I thought Checkov (or Jack Off as we call him) did a reasonably decent vocal impression of Mikey Bein's Kyle Reese.

The story was a bit discombobulated with no real focus, but it was fairly fun for a free movie.

It is a roller coaster thrill ride of a summer. Well, maybe not the most exciting roller coaster, but it pissed me off much less than Star Trek did

but that is another discussion altogether. Also, it seems that

Terminator 1.

And now to the director. This individual, McG, has absolutely no right to be alive with a name like that. The only way... ONLY WAY I will forgive his existence is if that is the full legal name that he was born with. His name is absolutely unacceptable. I will not tolerate it.

I saw it at an AMC Digiplex (all digital - no film allowed in the building by federal law). After about 12 trailers, the movie started and it missed its lights down cue. But they keep the lights so dim even at full bright it didn't make much of a difference and nobody noticed when they finally did come and turn them down all the way. Why are today's auditoriums so damned dim?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 05:41 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was great. Definitely not in the same league as the original movie, but the best of the three sequels. I think the vast majority of Terminator fans are going to be very happy with the movie.

Really the only thing that bothered me about the movie is the way it ended with relation to John Conner. I think it should have ended about five minutes earlier. But that's a minor complaint.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-21-2009 09:20 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only people who make rap/hip hop music should be allowed to use a "MC" handle. It seems like "McG" needs to go back to directing music videos or whatever the hell he was doing before Hollywood producers allowed him to let him direct feature films.

I guess I can see some reasoning why Christian Bale had such a titanic shit fit on the set of T4: Sequel Salivation. Bale may have wanted to strangle his agent for booking him onto such a crappy movie, especially as a followup to The Dark Knight. But the agent wasn't in the same zip code. So he blew up at the cinematographer instead. Maybe this situation is why certain actors become drug addicts and weirdos.

I don't have a review for this movie other than my confused "what the fuck" reaction when I found out they were making a fourth Terminator installment and that it would be directed by some guy calling himself "McG". WTF indeed.

I have never had any desire to see this movie. The crappy word of mouth the show is getting here and at Rotten Tomatoes confirms I'm making a good decision.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure what manner of robot a McG is, but it is clearly not a directing robot. Is this what we have to look forward to in the Skynet dominated future? Bad sequels? (I guess it is not so different from the idiot dominated present.)

This movie could have been worse, but I'm not certain exactly how. I didn't watch the third one, and I would've given this one a pass as well were it not for Batman being in it. He is one of my favorite contemporary actors, so I figured I'd give it a go.

First of all, the casting was bad. Batman was probably the best cast, and I actually do think he was suited to the role, but it was also badly written. Anton Yelchin is just a bad actor, plain and simple, and I am unsure from what his current favor with filmmakers stems. Sam Worthington was extremely robotic, if you'll excuse the pun, and I don't think he should've been. There weren't really any other characters either. I watched it Tuesday night, about 36 hours ago, and I can barely remember anyone else. Not because they were overshadowed, either, but because they were so bad and insignificant.

The special effects, while at times very good, are also at times very bad, completely taking you out of the film at several points, if you've managed to get in it. The cinematography at large is pretty poor as well. I don't know what else I was expecting, because crossing the line is one of the most basic sins of cinematography. While many actors on the set may have no idea what is going on with the camera, I believe very deeply that Batman is not one of them, and following the tirade, it should be apparent that despite being in a leading role, he is probably very angry about this movie.

In summary, this is one to skip. Unless you are a huge fan of Terminator or of all of Batman's movies, I would leave it off the Netflix as well.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 07:01 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
In summary, this is one to skip. Unless you are a huge fan of Terminator
I don't get this at all. I'm a huge fan of The Terminator. It's in my top 10. That makes me want to see a lame Terminator film even LESS.

(Also a huge fan of Star Wars. Never saw Episode III, and wish I hadn't seen I & II)

[Smile]

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 07:28 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, because if you don't see it, you'll wonder for the rest of your life, "Was Galen's slightly rambling and incoherent review accurate? Have I gone through life taking too much of other people's opinions on good faith instead of finding out for myself?" I'm just trying to prevent people coming after me in 50 years because they skipped a movie they very well may have loved and are increasingly bitter about it. That is how supervillains are made, and I won't be party to that. I'm just not equipped to handle that contingency.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Definitely not in the same league as the original movie, but the best of the three sequels.
Did you really just say that this piece of McG-shit movie was better than Terminator 2? You may need some psychiatric help there buddy.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2009 08:56 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the movie, but there's only one thing I can say: "What don't you fucking understand?"

--jhawk

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2009 10:25 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our packed auditorium gave it a standing ovation after our midnight show. It was fun, cheesy, predictable - exactly what a summer movie should be. I too noticed Bale's lame acting. Lots of references to the old ones so see them again before you see this new one. I never saw Terminator 3 but 4 is definitely worse than 1 or 2.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2009 10:33 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad Souder
Our packed auditorium gave it a standing ovation after our midnight show.
WTF? It's not a play!

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2009 10:38 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, right? But yet there they were. Clapping away. It was that great energy you hope for that sells the movie theatre experience.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But hey, It'll sell well at the Smith's check out stand for $5.99!!! Thats all that really matters with movies any more anyway...
Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-22-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen people clap at the end of films -- at least here in NYC that will happen once in awhile. But that was years ago in the great single screen theatres. I haven't heard that in a long time. And I have never heard it outside of NY.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2009 06:36 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me on this. They were just clapping because they were happy the McShitfest was over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: