Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Spoiler Alerts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spoiler Alerts
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-18-2009 08:52 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
For fun, and because I was trying to do something completely different, I hacked in spoiler tags to the forum software. Please start using them to bracket your spoilers.

[ SPOILER ] and [ /SPOILER ] (without the spaces). Javascript is required.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Clicking the toggle link will open or close all of the spoilers on the current page.

This hack was only tested briefly, so expect the unexpected and reply here if you notice a problem.

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-18-2009 08:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for adding the feature! Now maybe I can actually read some movie review threads before seeing the show (provided participants actually follow through with the bracketing feature).

It's not anywhere near good enough for someone to just write "spoilers" and then proceed to give away big parts of a movie in a post. Anyone with any ability at all to skim over paragraphs of text can accidentally see the spoiler text regardless of the warning. It's great to be able to completely hide spoilers in a click-able tag.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-18-2009 09:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2009 11:55 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that when I looked at "Today's Active Topics" the spoiler was NOT hidden when it was within the first part of the post. So, this could still need a little tweaking.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2009 10:02 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the greatest thing ever done in the history of mankind!!! Seriously, I'm in the same boat as Bobby. Whenever there's something I look forward to seeing I can't look at the reviews on this forum. Now I can!!!

I'd like to suggest that for the next couple of months, the mods open a thread for every upcoming release with the spoiler tag instructions in the first post. I'm hoping this will train all user to use the tags all the time. This will prevent somebody who hasn't read about the feature from opening a thread on let's say Terminator Salvation and not using the spoiler tags because they don't know about them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 10:56 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great new feature, but with the number of people around here who can't even operate the "quote" feature, I wonder how much this will be used.

Adam Martin

- posted 05-19-2009 04:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe once the bugs are worked out, I'll get all hard-ass and enforce the use. [Devil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2009 06:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About time, though I like my simple mouse-over code better. [Smile]

Many of my posts already use the spoiler tags.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2009 06:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But now they're hidden...makes a big difference. [Devil]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-19-2009 11:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know, I put them in my posts years ago in anticipation of spoiler tags. [Big Grin]

Next up: embedding Youtube video (which I have created the code for loooooooooong ago, and it could likely easily be adapted to UBB).

I've got:

[youtube] [/youtube] = For general Youtube posting
[youtubehq] [/youtubehq] = High quality Youtube posting
[youtubews] [/youtubews] = Widescreen Youtube posting (defaults to high quality)
[youtubehd] [/youtubehd] = Youtube "HD" 720x480p posting
[music] [/music] = sound only (stereo).

Coming soon to Film-Tech? Check back in 2012.

Adam Martin

- posted 05-19-2009 11:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Send me current links or info about your pre-existing tags, Joe. The links in the other thread don't point to anything that makes sense.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I noticed: when you open the spoiler tags in one post in a thread, it opens all of them in that thread. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but I have seen this function in other fora that only opens the one you clicked. I don't really care either way, because no plot holds any real surprises for my mighty intellect, and I am hence immune to spoilers, but I thought I would mention it.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 05:27 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Adam, when are you going to go back to all the previous threads and posts and edit in the new code? Just wondering [Big Grin]

Adam Martin

- posted 05-21-2009 09:14 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as your mom leaves my house. [evil]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is really disgusting! 13 posts and not ONE PERSON has reviewed the film SPOILER ALERTS. I can't even find it on Rotten Tomatoes! Isn't this the movie review thread?

All I see is this blithering about codes and such.

Is this the short on the new PIXAR movie? Anyone have a synopsis?

[Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: