Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Angels & Demons

Author Topic: Angels & Demons
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2009 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my synopsis of this film:

Talk talk talk talk.
Run run run run
Drums drums drums drums
Run run run run
Drums drums drums drums
Drive Drive Drive Drive
Wait wait wait wait
Run Run Run Run
(RedDots RedDots RedDots RedDots)
Boom Boom Boom Boom
Talk talk Talk Talk
Boom Boom Boom Boom

A total waste of talent. My wife, Kathleen, nailed this when she leaned over to me and said, "This seems like a video game."

Should have been MUCH better. Blame it on the overdone story and the total lack of interesting characters.

Academic rating - C-.

|  IP: Logged

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2009 07:32 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't bad. The book was much better. It was less boring than DaVinci Code and one of the less boring Ron Howard films.

I say see it if you have nothing better to do this weekend.

2 1/2 out of 5 stars.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-17-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #9, 35mm. No presentation problems.

Hey look, Ewan McGregor got that THING removed from his forehead!

Hey, did you see those flashes of "Martian" hieroglyphics all over the place? Oh wait, that's just anti-piracy code.

Hey look, it's the old man who wears a Snuggie and says "That's a nice piece of fish!" in the Jack In The Box TV commercial!

Hey look, Fiats! Better get used to them!

OK, I don't know if there were actually any Fiats in this movie. There were lots of Sony monitors though.

What can I say but the movie provided me with adequate entertainment for most of its long running time. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with mark on this , well said.

I think the attention to detail in the sets was fantastic , interesting story , but yes told in that "videogame" mode.

I could have been 20 shorter , the opening sequence went on for too long , and when the emergency arrose nobody seemed to more and a pace that would seem adequete for the circumstances to come.

It neede a blend on of Bourne identity through it.

2.5 out of 5 from me.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 01:32 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark Movies 14, Mishawaka, IN
Auditorium 14, DTS
Presentation: [thumbsup] increase fader please.

Was this a comedy?

Ok, let's find Tom Hanks to solve the crime. Shit, we better go to the Vatican to get clues.

Crap, someone is going to die. Better get to the church.

Son of a...he's dead. Better go back to the Vatican to find more clues.

What, now there's no air? Oh SHIT!

Ok, let's go to church again. Another one is about to Die. Run TOM, RUN!

Big explosion, Obi Wan parachuting, and eventually some white smoke.

Silliest movie of the year. Am I surprised though?

I did see the DaVinci Code already.

Bad movie, ridiculous movie. It was only passable because it killed 2 hours extremely well, which is just what I wanted that particular afternoon.

AJG

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 11:54 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Howard's The Da Vinci Code was a film adaptation of Dan Brown's book, an average story about a man with a dopey hairdo and an intriguing premise about self flagellating religious zealots with barb wire garter belts and clandestine codes hidden within Leonardo's art. Sensibly, Angels And Demons jettisons the dopey hairdo but to it's detriment also purges an intriguing premise. What is left is an average story utilising an unremarkable idea and not so much as a hairdo as a talking point.

Looking over Ron Howard's filmography it seems clear that he has his passion projects and he has those which merely pay the bills; for every Frost/Nixon and Apollo 13 there's an EdTV and Backdraft. Angels And Demons is definitely a bill payer. You get the impression that this story was conceived as a direct result of the runaway success of The Da Vinci Code and hence suffers from a severe case of sequelitis; Robert Langdon reduced to merely a kind of ecclesiastical Indiana Jones decoding a seemingly endless procession of tedious cryptic clues. The former story was based on an intriguing idea of which Dan Brown was not the author, I suspect the central idea for Angels An Demons was largely of Brown's manufacture.

Spoiler Alert - Click to Toggle

In the end when one of the good guys is seemingly approaching certain death, the "sad" music is wailing on the soundtrack but do we care? No, not really, but it nicely sums up the movie as a whole.

5.5 out of 10.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2009 06:53 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
You get the impression that this story was conceived as a direct result of the runaway success of The Da Vinci Code and hence suffers from a severe case of sequelitis
You might get that feeling but "Angels and Demons" was published as a book before the DaVinci Code book. In the book world, DaVinci was the sequel.

I think what this movie truly suffered from is that it doesn't translate the book to the screen very well and they made some major plot departures that change a lot.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2009 12:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not read the book and didn't see "The DaVinci Code" and I'm Catholic so I didn't like the movie by default, but I did think the ending had a nice thought ("Religion is flawed because of people").

I generally enjoy Ron Howard's films -- although my favorites are "Parenthood" or "Apollo 13." I would rank this as near the bottom of his films (of the ones I've seen). At least the action scenes weren't all shaky-cam like so many other films these days.

The no-air sequence had kind of a Star Wars garbage dump scene feeling to it and was kind of silly in that there was never any cause shown for the power failure or the restoration of the power. (Unless I missed it, which is definitely possible.)

I thought the movie was over after the explosion - didn't realize there was yet another half-hour to go. That part was stupid, really because they said "it would destroy the church" if the explosion happened on the ground.....well maybe it would destroy the archives and the Vatican and a lot of great artwork and kill all the cardinals, but there are still about .999 billion other Catholics around the world, so the church would go on.

The 6th reel of our print was riddled with CRAP code in virtually every bright scene so that part of the movie was ruined for me.

2 out of 5 stars.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: