Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Breakfast Club (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Breakfast Club
John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2009 11:40 AM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another trip to The Inwood in Dallas!

CINEMA: Landmark's Inwood Theatre, Dallas TX
AUDITORIUM: Downstairs, Number One
PRESENTATION: 35MM/Stereo
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Old Print, Scratched Throughout, and Wrong Apature Plate In Place
RATING: Two 1/2 Stars

Once again, my Lead Projectionist and I went to a midnight show. Aside from the look of the print, it appeared that the scope plate was left on from the previous show.

This time, the A/C stayed on for most of the movie!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-10-2009 12:12 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite OT. The post above appears to be reviewing the theatre and the presentation since nothing is said about this very entertaining and groundbreaking film.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-10-2009 02:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought "B.C." was in mono were I ran it at in 1985. Don't think that their was ever a Dolby stereo mix of this movie.

But true, one of the best classic "Brat Pak" movies of John Hughes. This one really put the stars on the map along with other Hughes movies that came out in this time frame.

Even the opening music of Simple Mind's "Don't you forget about me." turned out to be a hit for that band in early 1985.

Personally, my definite John Hughes favorite was "Ferris Bueller (1986)". I had dreams that Matthew Broadwick and Michael J Fox would team up to be in a film by Hughes since Fox was still fresh out of the oven from doing "Back to the Future"...but 'oh well' it was a nice dream...

To list the great comedy films of John Hughes:

National Lampoon's Vacation, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Weird Science, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck, Home Alone and its sequel Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought there were only mono prints.

The last line in the blurb at the top of the poster always amused me. [Eek!]

-

Great film though...loved it from the moment Simple Minds hit on the Universal title.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2009 05:52 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, how deliciously subversive! That tagline there (They only met once......etc), wasn't that the tagline for Predator?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 06:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Course, I keep forgetting that in those days, there were dual issued sound prints - Mono and Dolby Stereo .. we had the mono release.

-Monte

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-11-2009 10:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stu Jamieson
That tagline there (They only met once......etc), wasn't that the tagline for Predator?
Wow! I've never noticed that before.

-

But even more amazing...

-

Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 01:46 AM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
John,
Look carefully at the bottom of the BREAKFAST CLUB poster you included in your post. Notice there's a DOLBY STEREO logo?

What's interesting is that I own a copy of that poster...and it does NOT have the DOLBY credit. It's the same in every other respect. What explains that?

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 02:17 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The version of the song across the opening credits of this movie will always remain my favorite version. The extended drum break and instrumental intro before the lyrics start really work well for the tune. The 12 inch vinyl single of the song is very close to what's in the film but not identical. I expect that obtaining a clean copy without Anthony Hall's narration will forever remain as elusive as getting a clean copy of Belinda Carslile's "In my Wildest Dreams" without the sound effects over the opening title of "Mannequin"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-13-2009 02:38 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and interestingly enough, that song by Simple Minds never hit on any of their released albums during the 80's...

..just a single only...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julie Lucero
John,
Look carefully at the bottom of the BREAKFAST CLUB poster you included in your post. Notice there's a DOLBY STEREO logo?

You're right...there's no way a poster would ever bear incorrect information. [Roll Eyes]

quote: John Wilson
Note I didn't say "Mr. Keathley, you are an idiot...there are only mono prints of The Breakfast Club?" It appears there were indeed stereo prints struck...well, hooray. Now all is right with the world.

What's interesting is that I own a copy of that poster...and it does NOT have the DOLBY credit.
So, surely by your definition of a poster's infallibility, all prints of 'The Breakfast Club' must be mono, right?

Anyone ever run a stereo print of 'Top Secret'?

Julie Lucero
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Julie Lucero   Email Julie Lucero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa...I wasn't trying to claim you were wrong, John. I think you may have misread my comment, but I apologize if I mislead you.

What I was trying to accomplish with my comment was to point out that we have an interesting mystery on our hands since two versions of the BREAKFAST CLUB poster were produced (one with a Dolby logo, one without) and since some folks are recalling it as a mono movie and others are recalling it as Dolby.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-13-2009 08:08 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty then...I must have read it the wrong way.
If that's the case, then I apologise.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-13-2009 08:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
two versions of the BREAKFAST CLUB poster were produced (one with a Dolby logo, one without)
It was probably just an "advance" onesheet vs. a "final" one.

I didn't like this movie when we ran it as a new film, and haven't seen it since then. I thought it was boring. Probably should give it another chance. Molly Ringwald was hot though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-13-2009 08:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, that was a dual inventory release.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: