Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » X-Men Orgins: Wolverine 2009 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: X-Men Orgins: Wolverine 2009
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2009 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the screening in Indianapolis today with fellow Drive-In Owner Fred Heiss and it was fantastic. The scope of the photography was breathtaking and the story was very good. I was very bored with the last Xmen movie, but I believe you will find this movie to be one of the best if not the best movie of the series!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 05:39 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone notice any differences other than the ending scene after the credits? Apparently there are 3 different prints out there. We have two,

minor spoiler alert

one where the scene at the very end of the credits has Wolverine, one with Deadpool, don't know what the third one is.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2009 10:28 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the director made a comment that there are 2 easter egg versions. Some web sites apparently had it wrong by saying there were 3. I guess the scene at the end is supposed to be the only difference, but if they were going to cut 2 different master reels for that last shot, I would think it would be better for the bottom line of the movie to have a few scene differences in the last reel too.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-02-2009 01:44 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the Rotten Tomatoes score Fox should have brought back Bryan Singer to direct. Last time I checked this one was ranking in the 30% range on the Tomato-meter. That's a far cry from the upper 80% to lower 90% range seen for Iron Man last year. Not good at all.

Sure, this movie will probably gross a boat load of cash this weekend. But Star Trek looks certain to kick the crap out of Wolverine next weekend -especially if the early reviews have any impact on it. The early reviews on Star Trek are far better.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 05-03-2009 06:01 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Cinemark Movies 12, Ames, IA
AUDITORIUM: 7
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Cinemark Super Mega Craptacular Analog Stereo Surround
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Cinemark Super Mega Craptacular Analog Stereo Surround
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

Auditorium 7, the biggest one here, has a wonderful side-masked full width screen, one of the largest in the state. And they projected a nice, steady clear picture on it today. And delivered some of the worst sound imaginable. Completely flat with no low end. Just awful. Even the sound on "First Look" was better.

THE PLOT: A mutant grows up. Wackiness ensues.

Sorry...Was this supposed to be an X-Men prequel, or a Highlander prequel? Because I sure found it hard to tell the difference. They even borrowed the whole 'take off his head' thing.

Still, it was fun to watch. But I think the whole mystique (no pun intended) of Wolverine's mysterious past would have been better off left mysterious than to have it delivered in a 107-minute spotfest.

But I also see it made a boatload of money, so I suppose it accomplished its task.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Elliott
Anyone notice any differences other than the ending scene after the credits? Apparently there are 3 different prints out there. We have two,

minor spoiler alert

one where the scene at the very end of the credits has Wolverine, one with Deadpool, don't know what the third one is.

It would have been nice if the distributors had ensured that cinemas got examples of both too. Both our prints have the Wolverine coda.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-03-2009 07:50 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today 10:45AM at Regal 15 in Eugene, #8, 35mm. Their largest house, largish screen with side masking. Looked and sounded really good, no complaints. Every frame from beginning to end was pristinely projected. [thumbsup]

The movie is ok but a little disappointing to me. I guess this backstory story needed to be told but damn, I wish it had been told via a better director than Gavin Hood. Who the heck is he anyway? (looks it up on imdb) Oh hell, he's a one-size-fits-all multitalented actor/writer/producer/director. Lots of TV in his background. Jack of all entertainment trades and apparently master of none. Seriously, some of his shot compositions seemed like textbook 101 for freshman directors.

Casting and writing also weak.

I give the movie a generous 2.5 out of 5. I would not strongly recommend it but at the same time it's not horrible. Just strangely "blah". [Shrug]

I got the Deadpool ending if anyone is keeping score.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2009 09:31 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're getting pretty good word of mouth and actually have a bigger crowd tonight than what we had on Friday or Saturday.

Virtually nobody is staying for the 3rd ending (there is another "extra" bit in the middle of the credits which, surprisingly, nobody has mentioned) and about 90% of the folks are out the door before that even comes up.

Maybe once the blog-o-sphere buzz about the extra tag heats up around here we'll do some repeat business. As is, it's grossing pretty well, but we did better with Gran Torino even though it was over 2 months old when we played it.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 07:22 AM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, were you able to get a two-week deal on Wolverine, or do you have to play it for 3? Our booker said we had to play it for three if we opened on the break.
Steve Hart

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 09:57 AM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they have to F-up Deadpool?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-04-2009 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steven J Hart
Mike, were you able to get a two-week deal on Wolverine, or do you have to play it for 3?
We have it for 2 weeks. Our booker did say they were pushing for 3, in fact the main reason we went with X instead of Star Trek is because Paramount was pushing for 3 on Star Trek.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 11:58 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@David: Care to post a spoiler on what the Deadpool coda is, mate? His demise looked pretty final during the movie.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 02:24 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

One of the alt endings had Deadpools decapitated head laying next to his body, his sword draws back into his arm and he reachs around to find his head and his eyes open and he goes "Shhhh" his mouth has been cut back open so he can speak again.

END SPOILER

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 03:28 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, that's better than the Wolverine one. The bit where you see that Deadpool's mouth has been sewn up was a laugh out loud moment for me, recalling Stryker's comment from the beginning.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 04:54 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought as a whole, Wolverine was very well made, especially in comparison to the other 3 X-Men. The acting talent was clearly better, except for WILL.I.AM - can rappers please stop trying to act? I was genuinely impressed with the humor throughout and the crowds I have listened to seem to agree. I hope it has some legs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: