Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » State of Play (2009)

Author Topic: State of Play (2009)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-19-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked "All The President's Men", and if you still prefer to get your serious news from actual printed newspapers (assuming you can still get one where you live), you should see this movie. It's not quite on the same level as ATPM but it's very good. Russell Crowe disappears into his character as usual. Interesting & topical story, very involving, requires that the viewer pay attention though.

4 out of 5 from me.

Viewed at Regal 15 in Eugene, #3, 35mm. Nice presentation. [thumbsup]

Be sure to place the lights-up cue in the right place at the end (it was done right at this show). The credits roll over a sequence showing some of the steps involved in printing a newspaper. Lights shouldn't come up until that sequence ends. Hopefully someone will make note of this in the FITA thread.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2009 07:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm agreeing on David with this one. This is a good, not great, movie that keeps you guessing until the end. Actually, I don't like the final ending of the movie, as it is a bit hard to believe, but, still, it is a satisfying film. This isn't one I'll remember very well, but it was fun while it was running.

Acting is good, and I'm glad they didn't go for the cheap, romantic angle between the reporters.

Sound in this giant AMC Torus screen room was strange. It kept popping to a backup track, either to analog or to the backup SDDS track. I don't know what they were running, and this room has multiple systems, I believe. Occasionally there would be a repeated word or two. Didn't ruin the film for me, though.

Thanks, AMC, for those $5.00 early shows. Now that my wife has retired we can hit them on Friday when they aren't crowded. Guess we'll be joining all those old folks who like those early, cheap movies!

Give this one a good, solid B.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-19-2009 08:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Russell Crowe disappears into his character as usual.
Really? Every time I see him I can't help but think "There's Russel Crowe being Russel Crowe". Loves to mumble unintelligibly .

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2009 05:42 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this picture at the Continental 10 in Denver on the "giant" screen. Mostly attended so as to have the chance to experience this theater however I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the above-mentioned film.

It certainly kept my attention and I would never have guessed that it would end how it did. I was very,very grateful for the lack of violence, something quite rare in this genre of movie.
I don't suppose that the general concept was all that original however I enjoyed every minute of this picture and would recommend it to anyone who has some free time and wants to see a great (and tasteful) film.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2009 12:54 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good actors, good script...

...but 127 minutes of SHAKYCAM™. How I hate it. The first two reels were the worst, maybe I got used to the constant shake, shift & tremble cinematography. But the story and performances (almost) made me forget the irritation.

I'm glad I saw it on a rather small screen (Frankfurt CineStar #6), had it been on a huge screen I think I'd have thrown up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: