Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Star Trek (2009) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Star Trek (2009)
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2009 11:04 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this earlier this week and it looked and played really good in this re-boot of the original cast. I think it should do some business and I am looking forward to seeing it again!

I also saw the trailer to the new Transformer Movie and it looked to kick ass too!

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-02-2009 08:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have mixed feelings about this. We'll see.

Btw, Transformers 2... parts filmed right here in Bethlehem, PA!

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2009 07:24 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be easy to be hyper-critical of Star Trek (2009) and tear it apart block by block but this would be contrary to the spirit of the franchise. It matters nought that the unleashing of a black hole in the midst of our solar system results in little consequence to the neighbouring planets (or galaxies, for that matter); or that Simon Pegg's Scotty bears zero resemblance to James Doohan; or that an unlikely intra-crew love affair will require some significant (and potentially fascinating) narrative acrobatics in order to segue future franchise instalments back into Gene Roddenberry's timeline. Star Trek is about the fun, the fantasy, and the politics - elements which are tied but loosely to reality - and in this charge, Hollywood hitmaker JJ Abrams' prequel to the seminal 60's sci-fi TV series succeeds admirably.

The nostalgia factor is high so naturally the proceedings must be commensurate with Trek Lore lest Abrams suffer the hex of a trillion Tribbles. So accordingly Mr Spock must deliver his mandatory "live long and prosper" line whilst gesturing the corresponding salute; Scotty must declare, "I canna change the laws o' physics, Capt'n!" (or something similar); the loss of an hitherto unknown crew member must perish during an off-Enterprise expedition; and there must be the obligatory big explodey things, sleek techie space ships, breathtaking hemlines on Uhura's tunic and mean-looking tatooed aliens resembling Chopper Read. With all the boxes duly and dutifully ticked, the Trekkies/Trekkers/Roddenberrites/Starfleet Cadets (or whatever the hell they call themselves these days) are appeased.

With it's young spunky talent and incumbent soap opera tendencies, the film teeters on the edge of Star Trek 90210 but crucially remains on the fun side of saccharine melodrama. The enjoyable cast have a wonderful time caricaturing their celebrated elder selves resulting in a plethora of in-jokes which will keep the fans in giggles. Of particular note is Karl Urban's playful rendition of Bones McCoy and it's a credit to Simon Pegg's performance that he so successfully pulls off his Scotty despite his unDoohan-like appearance. Winona Ryder's appearance, however, is nothing short of mysterious considering she spends all her screen time in aged makeup. Why not just cast a 60 year old? Perhaps her flashback scenes failed the final cut? Leonard Nimoy makes his obligatory cameo, indeed the Back To The Future plot seems derived specifically to get him in it; a point further supported by the contrived means by which he is united with the young James T Kirk, subsequently MacGuffining the fledgling Starfleet Captain back into the story. But be it as it may, it's always a pleasure seeing the big fella with the big voice don the pointy ears just one more time (again). Oddly, though, The Shat™ is nowhere to be seen.

Gunning for the fun end of the spectrum, Star Trek is undeniably good, solid, undemanding entertainment.

7.5 out of 10.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 02:33 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn I thought I was reading a critic! The summary of the top review is IS GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS IT COULD BE!

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-04-2009 05:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2009 05:42 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^ A summary which would surely apply to all but those cinematic experiences which achieve perfection (unless the movie is really, really, bad). I prefer to summarise my review as WON'T CHANGE THE WORLD BUT ADMIRABLY ACCOMPLISHES WHAT IT SETS OUT TO ACHIEVE.

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 05:36 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was pretty good. Actually character driven rather than just relying on special effects. 4/5

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2009 06:49 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this on Sunday and was really impressed, possibly the best mainstream Hollywood film I've seen this year. Great special effects back up an entertaining story and the cast do a great job with the characters. Can't wait to see the IMAX presentation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Loved it! I didn't think I would like it based on the trailers, but other than the completely useless "red tarantula creature thing" that chases Kirk on the planet's surface, I enjoyed it very much.

4.5 out of 5

Re: the Transformers 2 trailer - holy fucking shit this turd is going to be even worse than the original movie! How is that possible??? I'll just go ahead and give my review right now to Transformers 2: -1 out of 5

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-07-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..you can give the 'Golden Turd Award' to Michael Bay if the 2nd one might reek a bit. Then, it would be his 2nd award-his first was "Pearl Harbor"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, did you forget...
Transformers (2007)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Armageddon (1998)
Bad Boys I and II (1995/2003)
The Rock (1996)

And then there is his SLEW of godawful remakes...
Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Friday the 13th (2009)
The Hitcher (2007)
TX Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Amityville Horror (2005)

This certainly won't be his SECOND one.

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 02:47 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent movie. The cast turned out much better than I thought it would be originally.

quote: Brad Miller
Re: the Transformers 2 trailer - holy fucking shit this turd is going to be even worse than the original movie! How is that possible??? I'll just go ahead and give my review right now to Transformers 2: -1 out of 5
Every single person I have talked to LOVES that trailer. I don't know why so many people bash on the first movie, I felt it was one of the better action movies I have seen in the last few years.

The trailer NOBODY can stand is the one for G.I. Joe. THAT movie is going to be as much fun as food poisoning if the preview is any indication. I will still watch it, because G.I. Joe is a real American hero and all.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Anslem.

Very well-done movie. 4.5/5.

I thought the Transformers 2 trailer looked good and the G.I. Joe one seemed lame beyond belief. When I first noticed the names that made it obviously be G.I. Joe, I got excited for a sec then progressively got less and less interested.

And on Transformers, I liked it too. It's definitely Michael Bay's best movie so far, though that's not saying much.

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2009 09:25 AM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a die-hard Star Trek fan so I was really nervous about this one. However, I really loved it more than I thought I would! I talked with customers as they excited these shows yesterday and everyone seemed to really like it. Every auditorium got applause. I think this will play well and have legs for days.

5 [Smile] out of 5 [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-08-2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen the new STAR TRECK movie yet and would like to see it in IMAX but I will not have the time to see it during the next two to three weeks. The IMAX ad for the movie said "For Limited Time" and was wondering approximately how long that would be?

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: