Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Aliens (1986) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Aliens (1986)
John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2009 04:03 AM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: Landmark's Inwood Theatre, Dallas TX
AUDITORIUM: Downstairs, Number One
PRESENTATION: 35MM/Stereo
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: Old Print, Scratched Throughout
RATING: Three Stars

Midnight show, the print was probably an original print. All types of scratched throughout. I went to the movie with my Lead Projectionist, and we had a kick out of the scratches. Found it kind of fascinating to see how a print looks after being passed around from theatre to theatre.
A/C must be on a timer, because the last hour of the film was like screening in a sauna. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Ed Alvarado
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Ed Alvarado   Author's Homepage   Email Ed Alvarado   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah it was pretty hot and humid in that place

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2009 02:35 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys didn't read the tagline on the poster then, did you?

-

John B. Keathley
Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2009 05:51 PM      Profile for John B. Keathley   Email John B. Keathley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good stuff there Sir. Good stuff.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-28-2009 09:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and the only one out of the four that was in flat...

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron wanted to shoot it in Super 35, but the studio wouldn't let him.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 01:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda odd. Why did FOX put that restriction on him of his choice of filming? Was Super35 not perfected yet, or something else?

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually a Fox execs wife probably complained while watching a letterboxed VHS copy of the first Alien film and told her hubby that next time she wants to "see the whole picture!"

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Schindler
Cameron wanted to shoot it in Super 35, but the studio wouldn't let him
Actually, it was because he only used 6 alien suits and wanted to keep the width of the image smaller as to make it appear that there were more aliens in the scenes and keep the close quarters of certain scenes to appear close and cramped. Cameron's first scope film was The Abyss. Piranah 2 and Terminator were flat.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 04:17 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you implying Fox execs have small penises?

Speaking of widescreen, looks like this may be the year of the beggining of the death of true-anamorphic.

Someone listed in the web the first 31 widescreen movies released (in France, I believe) this year so far.

Only 7 out of 31 originated in Scope. The rest in squeezed cropped Super35 or digital. [uhoh]

12 Rounds* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
17 Again* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Assassination of a High School President* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Confessions of a Shopaholic* United States 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Duplicity* United States 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Explicit Ills* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Fast & Furious* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Fifty Dead Men Walking* Canada 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Fired Up* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Friday the 13th* United States 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Gomorrah* Italy 2.40:1 (Super 35)
He's Just Not That Into You* United States 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Hunger* United Kingdom 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Il Divo* Italy 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Knowing* United States 2.40:1 (4K Redcode)
London to Brighton* United Kingdom 2.40:1 (Super 16)
Monsters vs. Aliens* United States 2.40:1 (Digital 3D)
Notorious* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Push* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Race to Witch Mountain* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Shuttle* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
State of Play* United States 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)
Sunshine Cleaning* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Taken* France 2.40:1 (Super 35)
The Class*(Entre les murs)* France 2.40:1 (HDV)
The Good the Bad the Weird*(Joh-un Nom, Nappun Nom, Isanghan Nom)* South Korea 2.40:1 (Super 35)
The Haunting in Connecticut* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
The International* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Three Monkeys*(Uc Maymun)* Turkey 2.40:1 (HDV)
Watchmen* United States 2.40:1 (Super 35)
Welcome to the Sticks*(Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis)* France 2.40:1 (Anamorphic)

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 06:18 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, Cameron has never liked the optical artifacts of anamorphic. Even The Abyss was Super 35. And, when DVD was a new format, Cameron didn't want 16x9 enhanced versions of his movies because he decided that most people would be watching on 4x3 monitors and he didn't like the way DVD players were converting 16x9 video for 4x3 output. Total control freak.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-29-2009 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the original "Alien" in 1979 at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood. It was my first and only experience seeing a film in 70mm, and the first time I heard a really good theatre sound system. [thumbsup]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my first 70mm movie was Barabba (1961).

Technically it was shot in Technirama, sort-of a Vistavision, but I saw a 70mm screening at a since burnt-down Todd-AO equipped house.

Don't remember much about the quality of the picture (sound was always good in that house), but I remember some scenes from the movie.

Last time I saw a 70mm "regular movie" (i.e. not a theme park, etc), I think it was a blow up from Super 35mm of Apollo 13.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-29-2009 11:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, there was no 70mm prints of Apollo 13...but this needs to be taken to a new thread if the James Cameron discussion is going to continue.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2009 04:36 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get side-tracked easily [Wink]

I must have seen Apollo in Imax then and it was the right stuff in the 70mm blow-up? Hmmm. I know it was around the same time as Apollo 13 came out I saw something space-related on a nice theater with a curved screen in 70mm ... It wasn't 2001.

There must be something good for the memory, but I just can't remember ... [uhoh]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: