Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Fast & Furious (2009) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fast & Furious (2009)
Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 04-04-2009 07:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: 35mm/Mystery Meat Digital/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two and one half stars (out of four)

A couple sitting in front of me are...well...just sitting there...until the guy gets up and moves four seats to the right.

She's pissed. Apparently, she said something to him that he didn't appreciate. And he got up and moved.

She says "Fine. Just sit alone then."

He does.

She flips him off.

"Right here?" he says.

"Never EVER!" she snaps back.

She sits there and stews. She's getting more and more upset. He occasionally asks her some completely random question about nothing, which really annoys her.

Ten minutes later, she caves, gets up, and moves down to where he is. They remain there through the feature.

That was awesome.

THE PLOT: Revenge. Wackiness ensues.

I'll warn you right now...Don't read Ebert's review. He throws a HUGE spoiler out in his description of the plot that annoyed even me.

The movie is about what you'd expect, with more emphasis on the police activity than street racing (though using the phrase "street racing" is stretching it...The Fast & the Furious movies have always played more like live action tributes to racing video games). There are some seriously kickass action sequences, however ridiculous they may be.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2009 10:10 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first show at my theater the other day.
A friend asked me how I liked it and I said:
"It is what it is . . . guys driving fast, shooting guns,
crashing cars and blowing stuff up . . . what more do
you need know?"

But I enjoyed it- - on that level.
I've watched the last reel several times. I think that
chase sequence through the tunnel near the end of the
movie could have been even better if it was done in 3D!

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2009 09:19 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed. It starts off fine. But the middle part was kind of dull. Tokyo Drift was more entertaining even if that one did not have a signature action sequence.
My rankings 1)THE Fast and THE Furious 2) Tokyo Drift 2)Fast & Furious 4)2Fast2Furious

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2009 04:47 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 Fast 2 Furious was hilarious. I loved all the biracial homoeroticism in it. "Hey man, whatch ya checkin her out for" "Bro, I wasn't checkin her out" "Brian you always get us in trouble over a female". Lol

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-08-2009 05:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw about 45 seconds of this movie at the Regal Colorado Mills 16 the other day. This is a shitty movie. Nothing but cars and Vin Diesel driving around. Lame. The title is way too close to the original to differentiate between it and people new to the series won't know which one to watch first. The sound was way too high in the 1-5k range resulting in ear-splitting treble, but otherwise the presentation was good.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 04-09-2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first theatrical released film to feature D-BOX Technologies. Right now Mann's Chinese 6 Theatre in Hollywood and UltraStar's Suprise Pointe 14 in Arizona are equipped with it.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2009 04:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, that might just be worth the drive out to Surprise. I think.

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2009 04:34 PM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Joe R. I can't watch this kind of movie. I need more plot and less driving. Probably a genetic thing...my dad even hates car chases in movies. WTF? He watches NASCAR every Sunday! Silly Dad!

Sam Graham

- posted 04-09-2009 04:36 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
The sound was way too high in the 1-5k range resulting in ear-splitting treble, but otherwise the presentation was good.
Ear-splitting treble is a Regal/Klipsch trademark. It wouldn't be a Regal build without it.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2009 06:47 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike be prepared to pay 8 bucks more on top of the regular ticket price. So your looking at a $18 ticket to see it.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2009 12:36 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo I didn't know they were using Klipsh. However the building was assembled by United Artists. Did they go Klipsh right before the Regal thing?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2009 12:41 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt, is it in every seat? Might be fun to try it once... and F and F is something I want to see anyways.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2009 10:08 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
Ear-splitting treble is a Regal/Klipsch trademark.
This is definitely not the case at the Regal/Klipsch 15 here in Eugene. Just sayin'.

Sam Graham

- posted 04-10-2009 11:08 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Ooo I didn't know they were using Klipsh. However the building was assembled by United Artists. Did they go Klipsh right before the Regal thing?
Good question. Who knows what's in that building. Regal's had a deal with Klipsch for about a decade now.

quote: David Stambaugh
This is definitely not the case at the Regal/Klipsch 15 here in Eugene. Just sayin'.
I would LOVE to know they've improved their speakers since the buildings I've been in were built. But Joe's description of the UA building is exactly what I've experienced in every native Regal build that I know was designed by them.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2009 11:14 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The building I describe is fairly important to Regal, so perhaps they made the rounds and replaced the speakers in the bigger auditoriums.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: