Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Knowing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Knowing
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2009 03:16 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I was KNOWING how bad this movie was, I might not have gone.
OR
Mr. Spielberg, they stole your ending.
OR
0320200940118300BM (Bad Movie)
OR
Hey, my kid does special effects...maybe we can save some money.
OR
I know how we can make this different from INDEPENDENCE DAY...we'll blow things up from the BOTTOM instead of down from the TOP! No one will know!

The "creatures" in the film reminded me of the characters in the classic Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man".

This is OK if you have nothing better to do, but it should have been a lot better.

First time I've ever seen a credit for an actor's personal chef.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2009 05:56 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the story...the SFX were terrible...the cheese factor is pretty high and the ending is very Close Encountersesque. All in all though, I enjoyed it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-21-2009 12:14 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicholas Cage better get involved with a winning movie pretty damned quick. Too many more losers like this and he will be falling head long into the dead zone of straight to video movie bull crap.

The Wicker Man was intolerable. [bobby] and [joe] didn't watch for anymore than 20 minutes. Suckage! Bangkok Dangerous just looked plain stupid based on the movie trailers, never mind the tell tale early September '08 release platform. Nick. Dude. You need to get back into being involved with more serious acting roles. Your action hero days are behind you. Leave that crap to guys like Martin Henderson.

Maybe Nick and Cuba Gooding, Jr. can share some stories between Oscar winners about what went wrong. There's always infomercials pitching various ab-exercise devices. Wesley Snipes can't be wrong!

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 03-22-2009 01:47 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CINEMA: 13th Avenue Warren, Wichita, KS
AUDITORIUM: 14
PRESENTATION: Dolby Digital Cinema DLP/THX
PRESENTATION PROBLEMS: None [Cool]
RATING: Two stars (out of four)

WARNING: "I know how this sounds, but I've mapped these numbers to the dates of every major Spoiler from the last 50 years."

So while waiting in line to buy tickets, I completely randomly bite my tongue for no reason. As an instant reflex to this, I shouted "FUCK!" right there in the middle of the lobby. Suffice to say, this turned some heads.

THE PLOT: A child puts some numbers in a time capsule. Wackiness ensues.

The plane crash was awesome. It completely kicked ass. The plot layout at the beginning was good too. It should have led to a better movie than it did.

Having said that, I didn't HATE it. It does remind you of the most recent "War of the Worlds", but it's more interesting than that piece of crap. Still, I'm comparing mediocre to crap.

Mark's comment ("This is OK if you have nothing better to do, but it should have been a lot better") pretty much sums up my opinion too.

I do hope the kids got a sex ed class in before they were dropped off... [sex]

Dennis M Dow Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2009 11:35 AM      Profile for Dennis M Dow Jr   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this movie Saturday night. What a wretched piece of trash. All I can say is it was 2hrs of my life I will never get back!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 03-23-2009 05:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who's distributing it in the USA? Over here it's going through ICON. Either they have money in it (do they?) or the main distributor knew what they had and passed it onto a little guy.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 03-24-2009 03:02 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Summit Entertainment.

--jhawk

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2009 03:26 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this today at the Regal Rockville Center 13.

I liked this movie, it was good.

I won't publicly comment on the quality of the picture.

[Razz]

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2009 06:50 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the teaser, I thought it was The Number 23 with Cage... then I walked in today about 3 minutes early to clean it and find something that reminded me of Gary Sinise in Mission to Mars.

In 2 hours it went from a psychological thriller to a sci-fi flick? Who's going to air this on TV in 3 years, FX or SciFi?

But I still need to sit down for the whole thing, as a fulltime film handler should I even waste my time?

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 03:05 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...crap!

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 09:03 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! I shall have to disagree vehemently with you guys.....

Knowing is an odd film and a dangerous one for Aussie director, Alex Proyas. Rooting his film in reality and then sliding increasingly towards the supernatural, the trick here is to maintain story plausibility and, more importantly, a credible conclusion. Proyas has previously proven to be adept at pure fantasy (The Crow, Dark City) and stark reality (Garage Days) but can he succeed in mixing the two? The answer is an emphatic "yes" for although the conclusion of Knowing sounds a little ridiculous if you say it out loud, Proyas notches his film from the real to the unreal in increments small enough to prevent us from throwing up our hands and crying, "this is bullshit!". Of course, this is also the magic of story telling and it is to Proyas' credit that we buy it wholesale.

The film represents an outstanding technical accomplishment which, arguably, is merely par for the course for Proyas - the premature death of of his star never stopped him from finishing The Crow and his mastery of technical wizardry was on full display in both Dark City and I, Robot. In Knowing, the brilliantly staged, wince-inducing disaster sequences tragically and effectively drive home the full impact of the senseless destruction of human life during a catastrophic event. The film may be a slow burner but when something happens, boy does it happen!

Knowing has much in common with the recent remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still except there's no Keanu to save the day here, Proyas takes us down a much braver and nihilistic path. The film also has similarities to Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain with its themes of loss and the afterlife though because the story is initially deceptive in it's intent, this is not immediately apparent. And although Proyas shoots for similarly lofty goals, it's implementation is simply not as elegant as Aronofsky's film. Of course, Nic Cage is no Hugh Jackman either, even if the film does play to the strengths of Cage's limited acting range.

However, being somewhat less than Aronofsky's magnum opus is barely a fault and taken on it's own terms, Knowing is a consummate cinematic achievement.

8 out of 10.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 10:14 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was ok the first time I watched it. Then we had a employee screening and I was in charge. The screening quickly broke down in to Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

3/5 [thumbsup]

Also Stu, where do you get your reviews? They read like something off of a newspaper site. Just asking

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2009 11:33 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write them myself, mate.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2009 04:21 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you write for a paper or another site? Just asking because they are always really well written with a bunch of info everyone on this site already knows is all. Not knocking them at all, just curious is all.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2009 04:43 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're primarily written for www.modmove.com - an Aussie arts website. I just repost them from there. (I guess I'm just lazy. [Wink] )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: