Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2008 12:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else make it through this 18 hour epic? I was very disappointed, as this seemed to me nothing more than a wanna-be Forrest Gump remake starring Brat Pitt from the planet Ork. The only thing good about this movie was the makeup.

1 out of 5 stars

|  IP: Logged

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Wanna-be Forrest Gump" was exactly what I was thinking after watching it. Especially after the WWII sequence, it just seemed to lose it's way and drag on without end, and could have easily been trimmed down to 120 minutes, if not shorter, without effecting what story there was. The ending happened so subtly and meaninglessly I was like "Wait, it's actually over? YAY!"

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's this theory that's been going around since FIGHT CLUB came out that David Fincher movies follow the same pattern as Star Trek movies, where the even numbered ones are good and the odd numbered ones are bad. So let's see here...

Alien 3 is #1 (odd)

Se7en is #2 (even)

The Game is #3 (odd)

Fight Club is #4 (even)

Panic Room is #5 (odd)

Zodiac is #6 (even)

So that means THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON is...

Yep. Still works.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-25-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I firmly disagree. The Game is the best movie on that list.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 12-25-2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, "Panic Room" is, because it's the only one I bothered to see.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-25-2008 10:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Game was lame. It actually made me angry that I had watched, it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-25-2008 11:59 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad on this one. The Game was well, not great but at least very good. I liked Panic Room too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-26-2008 12:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seven was better (I refuse to spell it with the number in it because that is just plain retarded).

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Panic Room, Fight Club, etc. but I also agree "The Game" was a great film.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 12:48 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, back to BENJAMIN BUTTON...
I thought it was a big bore. Very low key, dark, and who cares.
Technically, the whole crew did an excellent job. At our SMPTE meeting a couple of months ago many of the creative staff were on a panel, and we could see their dedication. The script was the problem, as well as the 167 min. running time.

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Benjamin Button was a very fine film. Like most of Fincher's films, it's getting mixed notices at best, but the same thing happened with Fight Club, The Game, Panic Room and even Zodiac. No matter. It's a great film and eventually will be recognized as such. My choice for the year's best so far. Deeply intelligent, beautifully realized. No big action sequences (unless you count a fishing trawler's encounter with a u-boat) and I suppose that puts some people off in a nearly three hour movie, but I was completely rivited all the way through. Trust Fincher. He knows exactly what he's doing, even if a lot of us can't recognize it yet.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 04:07 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Paul for the most part, I really liked it. I didn't see any of the comparisons to Forrest Gump. Unless your talking about the fact that it was 3 hrs and covered the course of someones life. Then yeah I see it.

They did a great job with the makeup effects and making Brad look very very old and then very very young. Spoiler of sorts, when he walks in to the dance stuido towards the end, they made him look like he was a teenager.

On the negative side I do think that they could of cut about 20-30 minutes and pulled the story together a little more. Even with that said I still liked it and liked the style it was done in.

4/5 [thumbsup]

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 05:44 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what you do. You take the premise from that Star Trek episode where the race of children are born old and get younger, wrap it around the Forrest Gump plot line and give it Big Fish's ending and you have Benjamin Buttons.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2008 07:14 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was absolutely amazing. I watched 2 hours after a shift last night (then at 12:30am realized I had to be back there in 9 hours) and the last hour tonight. I'll be going back again this week for the full sitdown effect. I remember thinking if they tried to make the Gump movie as epic as the book it would have more resemblance to Button.

And the flashback story telling of the clock in the beginning, I think they must've filmed it, put it on 35mm, then kicked it around a parking lot. I had trouble concentrating at that point because it was like watching my worst nightmare of a print's condition.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2008 05:11 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was only ok. I didn't hate watching it, but I don't think I'd ever care to sit through it again.

PS: If anyone knows any techs who service the UA Denver Pavilions 15, let 'em know one of the front speakers in auditorium 6 is faulty and sounds distorted (clipping?) on the high notes.

PPS: Anyone in the DC area who wants to catch Fincher's earlier stuff on the big screen can see most of 'em at the AFI Silver Theatre.

The Curious Case of David Fincher
January 30 - March 1

ALIEN 3
SE7EN
FIGHT CLUB
THE GAME
ZODIAC

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: