Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » "Yes Man" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Yes Man"
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-24-2008 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was forced to watch this after a new DLP install last Friday... oh well... Actually its a different Jim Carey from the old Jim Carey I stopped watching many years back... This is more of a straight/light comedic role. The film is certainy predictable but does have a few really funny moments. I wouldn't reccomend it as a "night out type of film" but perhaps more as a $7.00 DVD on the shelf at the food store or a rental from the "Big Red Box".

2 and a half stars out of 4

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Carey should not be allowed to be in front or the back of a camera. there was only one of his films that i found mildy amusing. he is a tired old clown comic. 10 on the turd-o-meter.

louis

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I see, because you only found one of his films to be mildy amusing that makes him a shit actor/comedian? I see, thats good to know. Good to know that your opinion of this movie with out seeing any of it is a 10 on the turd-meter. [Roll Eyes]

Yes Man has him coming back to what he does best, there are a few good laughs in here, then there are a few that don't belong. This has done well for us and is still doing well. It's one I would go and check out again with my GF if she wanted to. Instead were going to go watch The Godfather and Godfather II

3/5 [thumbsup]

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-26-2008 12:03 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Kurt. 3/5
It's got plenty of laughs though drags along a bit in the middle. But overall very enjoyable.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2008 09:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ending was pretty funny too!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-01-2009 12:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this film last night.
Bow-Tie Annapolis Mall
Screen #5

Show quality was pretty mediocre. The image was not centered on the screen. The light was more of a "dark" as I would be amazed if they hat more than 5 fL. Image focus was soft, through out and the projector (Ernemann) suffers from a turret jiggle that ensures a soft image. Sound was not too bad though there is something up that I can't quite put my finger on...like a speaker was out of phase on the front or maybe just one section of a speaker...everytime the music played it got an extra-wide sound to it. Otherwise the sound was clean...this screen used to be THX certified though no THX placard was showing as in theatre #1. There were also some scratches that came and went in a couple of sections.

Now on to the movie:

I think Mark nailed it. Not a typical Jim Carry film but certainly competently done.

Nothing rip-roaringly amusing in the film though there were some funny moments. It is a light-comedy and a decent length.

**/*****

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2009 02:29 PM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zzzzzzzzz

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2009 01:24 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kurt, As I said, Jim Carey should not be let in front of the camera.
We had it for one week and the studio took it back. They told us they were sending it to Japan. Hardly any sales for the movie. People are tired of him. Remember, we are in this business to make money, its just as simple as that. Our theater is in a small town, so we cannot draw on a large audience.

Marley & Me was a good film for us, we had patrons thank us for a decent movie. To quote them, "if we had more films like this, we would come out more often".

If we don't have a good film that the public likes, we don't pay the bills. Its all about the bottom line.

Louis

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Belloisy
We had it for one week and the studio took it back. They told us they were sending it to Japan.
That's hard to believe. I've never heard of a studio "taking back" a print after one week, especially a major release. We've had the occasional sub-par gross on an opening week but we've never had an offer or a demand from a studio to "take back" a print. We're in a town of just under 2000.

As for Jim Carrey not being allowed in front of a camera? The man's had several over-$200 million hits, and this movie is scraping the $100 million mark as we speak...I think he's earned his place in the comedy spotlight. He's also a good dramatic actor, he just hasn't hit the popular mark in that department yet (unless you count "The Truman Show" which was great).

As for this movie: We really enjoyed it. A lot of laugh-out-loud moments here. As some have noted, the story was kind of predictable - but most movies of this type are, I guess...the fun is in the side-trips that come before the predicted ending.

If I was going to gripe about this movie I would criticize the onesheet. It was the dumbest looking thing ever. It probably hurt more than helped. Luckily the trailers were decent.

3.75 out of 5 stars from me.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2009 10:51 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would they send a print to Japan and not just order one from Deluxe/Tech Thailand?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 09:27 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is one of three possibilities:

1. Louis is joking

2. Louis thought they only played it one week but they really played it two weeks (the usual minimum in small towns) and his studio contact was joking about what they'd do with his print

3. Louis' theatre had some kind of problem with the studio and they pulled the print after one week

What exactly happened, Louis?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-09-2009 09:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We're in a town of just under 2000.

Don't let Mike mis-lead yous guys. His town may only have 2000 people but the county population is another story! He's also the only theater for 100 miles to the west and 70 miles to the east. And the only decent theater period for thousands of square miles... you have to go south to Caspar, WY to find the next really good theater! His town also has the coolest old hardware store left on earth and the Speedway Cafe [thumbsup] !

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
And the only decent theater period for thousands of square miles...
(not to bend this off-topic) From the pics off Mike's website and not seeing his location in person, I can fully agree. I know of others who has the basic same population base and the same type - only theatre in a large square mile radius - that don't know anything on keeping their theatre up to speed to appeal to their patrons, to their city and their respective counties.

..just a go-figure thing on this one. Once again, my kudos to Mike and his efforts.

(back on topic) I can agree with others on Jim Carrey and this film. Not bad, but definitely a buck DVD rental from "RedBox" - glad I didn't have to shell out 9 bucks to see this one.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-09-2009 04:19 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thanks Mark, but it's really 70 miles (west) and 45 miles (east) to the nearest theatres and I don't think the county population of 9300 spread over about 5000 square miles really makes it a metropolis!

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2009 05:58 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this movie may have actually worked better as a drama. I thought Jim Carrey did fine, but probably any other actor could have done the role, it was nothing special.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: