Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Spirit (2008)

Author Topic: The Spirit (2008)
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-24-2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What ever moron gave Frank Miller 30+ million to make this movie needs to be taken out into the street and shot! This film has got to be one of the most jumbled up pieces of crap I've seen in a long long time. It seems like Miller never saw a line of dialogue he didn't think was worth not cutting. Letting Sam Jackson say "Really weired" over and over and over and over. The whole thing is a joke. The best line in the entire movie is when Jackson is complaining about free range chickens...yes Free Range Chickens and he says "Man I really hate those big brown eggs those damn Free Range Chickens lay....They Really PISS ME OFF!!!!!!!" He then says this a few more times.

The whole thing is a joke. Should of never been made, but alas it was made. The smartest thing Lions Gate could of done was hold this till February when there really isn't anything being released. This dosn't have a chance in the Holiday market.

1.5/5 [thumbsup] for Eve Mendes and her goodies.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2008 09:17 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a rather boring picture. Sam Jackson seems to be having fun, and that is enjoyable, but that is just about all. I don't understand why any director would make Scarlett Johansson look so unattractive, but they certainly manage to do that.

The main character is one of the most uninteresting characters I've ever seen. He has no charisma and doesn't really do anything of interest.

I'll give it a C-, with any positive points for Sam Jackson and the beautiful Eva Mendes. (She sure looks a lot like Cindy Crawford here.)

Justin Gorka
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2009 07:23 AM      Profile for Justin Gorka   Email Justin Gorka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found absolutely nothing good about this film apart from the end credits. Nice.
1/5

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Type in Samuel L Jackson Virgin Media on Youtube and you will see many of his scenes in the Spirit look very similar to the ads he did to promote TV on Demand in the UK.

I thought The Spirit was great visually, and in terms of the characters and overall concept it was decent enough. Jackson is always good for a laugh, and Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes on the big screen will always have my attention.

However if you are going to have dialogue that bad and a pretty thin plot you need gratuitous and stylised sex and violence. The Spirit had none at all. Much more sex and violence needed. Give it a 5.5/10.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: