Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Gran Torino (2008) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Gran Torino (2008)
Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2008 06:40 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're looking for an Eastwood fix, go see Changeling again. Gran Torino is Dirty Harry Retires, and it's really silly. As you go along, it's predictable, which is not always a bad thing, but the particular events are so far fetched, I found it hard taking the story seriously.

And Eastwood's sneer and grunt were annoying.

At a 10am Sunday show in LA, the theater was nearly full, close to 300 I'd guess.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Burt
Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2008 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul Burt   Email Paul Burt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clint may be 78, but he's lost none of his grit. He's kind of an older, retired Dirty Harry, a bigoted Korean War vet whose neighborhood has changed around him. The Hmong family next door particularly bothers him, especially after the son tries to steal his treasured Gran Torino car. But he finds himself defending the family from far worse problems.
Great acting, especially from Clint when he's angry. A good story with a surprising ending. And something to think about as well. Recommended. 4/5

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carol, I haven't seen the movie yet, just the preview, but if you think it's far fetched just spend some time living in Chicago or Detroit. You won't find it very far fetched then....

Mark

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-09-2009 01:38 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rarely go to the cinema. But when there is a Clint Eastwood film. I usually go. I have not seen Changeling yet but I will.

As for Gran Torino. Excellent movie. This is storytelling at its finest. I love the character and Clint Eastwood still makes me think of Walt even after two weeks.

I tried the Pabst Blue Ribbon he drinks in the film. The beer sucks.

I plaked the poster for office.

Excellent film. I loved it.

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was really good. I don't know if it was intentional, but it does not come off as a really serious movie. Clint Eastwood was definitely making fun of himself a lot. It also has some great lines.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2009 09:06 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it ok if I go into this one and pretend the characters name is actually Harry Callahan? [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-09-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To vary a line from Unforgiven, Clint being 78s got nothin' to do with it. Clint Eastwood will still be kicking ass at 100. Most guys get weaker with age. Clint gets tougher. [Cool]

Anyway, this isn't the best Clint Eastwood film of all time, but its very enjoyable. Some of the other acting was weak and I kept laughing at how retarded some of the Asian gang members looked, but the point of seeing this movie is Clint's performance.

3.5 out of 5

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2009 10:58 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the above posts...this movie was quite good.

Eastwood is fantastic. The movie has a lot more humor and funny lines than you might expect. There are tongue-in-cheek parodies of Clint Eastwood's tough-guy image.

Agreed with Brad about some of the other actors being weak. The gang members were not convincing. The girl did okay, but the boy ("Toad") was not very good.

Overall, this is is one of the best movies I have seen in quite a while.

Grade: A

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went into this with very high hopes. By the end of the first reel, I was disappointed. The characters are introduced in stupid little soliloquys they mutter under their respective breaths, or to each other in the first scene. Clint's entire family is unrealistically moronic, and he is clearly unhinged.

I'm ready to write it off, and chastise myself for going to a theater on opening weekend (the well-filled auditorium of 300 think every racial epithet Eastwood mutters is a great joke), when, about the end of the second reel, everything changes. Sure, some of the characters are implausible, Tao (sp?), Clint's family and the priest spring to mind, although I would argue the gang members are not far fetched (I've met people in gangs in Detroit before). But suddenly the characters who spend the most time on screen make a real connection. They stop being silly characters on screen who don't know what they're doing, and become silly people who don't know what they're doing. Obviously, Clint leads the way, and he is clearly a powerful actor here, and yes, many of the plot points are fairly predictable, but it is told with great force and earnestness.

4 out of 5, not as good as Changeling, but also very different. If you like Clint Eastwood's work, definitely check it out.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-10-2009 01:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, "Dirty Harry", "Escape from Alcatraz" and a slight mix of "Rambo" ... quite entertaining.

Story a bit thin with obvious plots, cardboard acting from the others, but Eastwood held it all together.

Glad to see him come back into acting once in a while... - in a role that he's well known form .. the tough guy type.

Andy Nordberg
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2009 01:40 PM      Profile for Andy Nordberg   Email Andy Nordberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been a huge Clint Eastwood fan, but I really enjoyed Gran Torino. I thought it was funny but touching, in the way he cared about "Toad" and Sue and stood up for them against the gangs. It was definitely was one of the better movies of 2008

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2009 09:20 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what IMDB listed for about a year this started out as Dirty Harry 09. As to why it strayed from the original concept I do not know. I was still happy with the way the movie ended up with Clint being Harry or not. I have also heard that Clint does not plan to act in anymore movies. [Frown]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2009 07:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've really enjoyed the last 15 years or so watching Clint Eastwood turn into a master film-maker with The Bridges Of Madison County, Unforgiven, Mystic River and Million Dollar Baby.

While Gran Torino is not up to these other's dizzying heights, it does nearly get there at times...especially the final act.

What lets it down is pretty much the entire supporting cast. There are lines delivered with all the acting ability of something you'd find on YouTube. Tao and his sister are at times REALLY bad. The barber borders on it and even some of Clint's deliveries scream out for another take. If anyone else had made this film I would have walked out and wondered how it made it to the big screen. This lack of attention to detail nearly sank this for me.

But there are moments it shines. He may be 78 and his best film-making days it seems may be over, but I'll still make the effort to see a MALPASO Production any day of the week.

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] out of
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

PS: And I agree it would have made a brilliant Dirty Harry finale.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-26-2009 10:10 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to imdb and other 'net sources:

quote:
Open casting calls for Hmong actors were held in Hmong communities in Detroit, Michigan; Saint Paul, Minnesota; and Fresno, California. None of the Hmong actors in the cast had acted in a film before except Doua Moua.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-26-2009 11:10 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad idea.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: