Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Milk (2008)

Author Topic: Milk (2008)
Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2008 05:53 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sean Penn's performance is everything the reviewers have said it is, masterful. He is finally inhabiting another character, rather than being Sean Penn in different wardrobe. He is calm, collected, subtle, I was impressed. All the acting is very good in the movie.

The movie itself is only okay, though. If they had just stuck to the politics and fight for equal rights, it would have been much better. There is quite a lot of real documentary footage, which is fantastic, but unfortunately only demonstrates the realness of that versus the immitation that is a movie. We also don't need to be sidetracked into his social life, nor does some narration serve the movie well, regardless of its veracity.

Whether by luck or by happenstance, it is being released at the right time, and at least in California, it should do well.

(Rent "The Times of Harvey Milk" which is the documentary, and very good.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie a lot. But as a Gus Van Sant fan, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. Over the last few years his movies have been very adventurous (granted, to varying degrees of success). Stuff like GERRY and ELEPHANT were fascinating. And while MILK may even be better than those movies, it's much more traditional and safe. I hope that its success does not sway Van Sant back into the direction of boring movies like GOOD WILL HUNTING or even worse, FINDING FORRESTER.

But for those who couldn't care less about emerging patterns in the filmography of Gus Van Sant, and are mainly just interested in seeing a movie about Harvey Milk, be sure to check it out. It's quite good.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent film. Terrific performance by Sean Penn, who totally inhabits the character of Harvey Milk, but the supporting cast is also very very good. Another standout performance by Josh Brolin as the very creepy Dan White.

Given an A- for being a bit slow during the Proposition 6 section. Sure Academy Award nomination for Sean Penn. He is in almost every scene in the movie, and his character is always on target.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2009 08:48 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Best Picture contender for sure, and Penn deserves the Best Actor for this. Amazing.

I too was a little dismayed at first by how much they went into Milk's personal life, but I do think it was absolutely critical. This film is not just the telling of his story, there is a documentary that does that. This is a dramatization, to which a response is demanded. Most people who will see this movie already agree with Milk's social agenda on principle, but may not necessarily be gay themselves. Even we so-called tolerant and enlightened heterosexuals have a certain discomfort with overt homosexuality, and I think we need to look it in the face and examine it. A serious watching of this film very well may do that.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2009 04:38 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have high hopes for this after LAST DAYS and GERRY snooze fests but any doubt quickly vanished.
Although I thought the beginning was a paced a little to fast this pulled me in deeper than any films of recent.
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Even we so-called tolerant and enlightened heterosexuals have a certain discomfort with overt homosexuality, and I think we need to look it in the face and examine it. A serious watching of this film very well may do that.

Totally agree with that.
A brilliant must see for 2009

Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only is it our busiest film right now, it's also drawing an odd crowd: mostly older people (I just checked and it's a sea of gray hair in the theater.) [Confused]

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2009 09:20 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are getting both young an old.
In my opinion the film had broad appeal in regards to age.

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2009 02:22 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this picture in late November at The Historic Mayan Theater in Denver,Co. A fascinating and entertaining movie. The acting is great and I loved the archival footage....I really enjoy when they mix documentary with Hollywood entertainment. Even as a gay man, I knew nothing of Harvey Milk aside from his name before seeing this picture and I even learned much about the beginnings of the gay rights movement and I found it all extremely fascinating. I told many of my family and friends about "Milk" and many of them went to see it and they all loved it. We are going to bring it in for a 2 night engagement at my art house in April and I am thrilled over that. I'm going to go get my father and bring him down there when we show it as he missed it when it was in the theaters.
When I attended it, I made the same observation Mr. Inghram made, the theater was almost full but 90% of the theater were ELDERLY heterosexual couples and groups of elderly women.
Great casting too. I NEVER mind seeing Emile Hirsch on the big screen :-D

A+

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: