Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » W.

Author Topic: W.
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2008 05:55 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the period after the W!

This is a non-political review.

This is not a good movie. Like much of Oliver Stone's other work, it is just too heavy handed. He grabs on to a point a keeps it going and going and going. Should be much shorter.

Some excellent performances, though. Josh Brolin really captures George Bush, and Richard Dreyfuss was meant to play Cheney. Toby Jones looks a LOT like Karl Rove.. Only bad mark on the acting is Thandie Newton's poor caricature of Condaleeza Rice. Her voice and facial expressions are very annoying.

The film seems rushed, as if it was trying to get out before the election.

Not much worth seeing...wife & I both rate at C-.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-19-2008 06:24 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today, Regal 15 in Eugene, #9, 35mm. Needed to be louder.

I thought it was great, very apolitical, really more a personal study of what shaped W and propelled him to the Oval Office and influenced him as The Decider. Wisely skips over a lot of stuff everyone already knows like the 2000 election controversy or replaying the events of 9/11. I really enjoyed it. There was scattered applause at the end.

4.5 stars out of 5.

EDIT - SPOILER ALERT
There are a couple scenes that had me scratching my head. One is where W is out jogging by himself and seems to suffer chest pains. In another he chokes on a pretzel or something in the Oval Office and passes out on the floor. Is Stone suggesting that maybe W had a mini-stroke or heart attack or something? It's as if mini-stroke is offered as a possible explanation for Bushisms like "Fool me once... Won't get fooled again".

[ 10-19-2008, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-19-2008 08:06 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this an Oliver Stone movie I am surprised (and relieved) that it isn't longer.

I have only seen about 2 or 3 minutes of this movie so far, but that definitely qualifies me to review it. While the performances are mostly very good, I found it odd how Stone inserted the common "Bush-isms" that normally occur before press cameras. For example, the "Fool me once" blurb happens in a tense, private meeting in the movie. This leads me to believe that Stone inserted these just for the sake of inserting them, or he honestly believes he makes these same exact gaffes all the freakin' time. Probably the former. I don't like the ending. I'm sure it is a metaphor for something, but I still don't get it.

The trailer for "The Spirit" which is attached rocks da hizzouse wit da tru sound. It is likely because of this trailer that some presentations of this movie are played at too low a volume. The Spirit looks like it will be lame, though. My print of W. reads 5s, 6's and an occasional 7 on the Dolby Digital track... highest I've ever seen without F-ing. That right there is an indication that it was printed at 900x speed to get this thing released as soon as possible.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-19-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bit about the President chocking on a pretzel must have happened only recently before the movie was made because CNN recently showed a clip of the real W with a bruise on his face saying something like "My mother always told me to chew my food carefully and as they say, mothers are always right."

I saw the movie yesterday and enjoyed it very much. Of all of the actors playing the parts in W's administration and life, Richard Dryfuss not only looked like the real Dick Chaney but but also played the part very well.

-Claude

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-19-2008 09:37 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoyed it, had a good time and some laughs. Love RD, doesn't matter what he's in always a great actor. Brolin IS Bush in this film. James Cromwell was great as Bush Sr. Thandie Newton was horrible in this, I thought she was a robot or something. Many quotable lines in this film and decent cinematography.

[The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] 1/2 out of 5

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-20-2008 12:10 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to sample Thandie Newton's moisture...

OK. I'm sorry. Go to jail. Do not collect $200.
[evil]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2008 01:24 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
In another he chokes on a pretzel or something in the Oval Office and passes out on the floor. Is Stone suggesting that maybe W had a mini-stroke or heart attack or something? It's as if mini-stroke is offered as a possible explanation for Bushisms like "Fool me once... Won't get fooled again".
The pretzel thing happened some time ago, though I don't know when. Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan was on NPR's 'Wait Wiat Don't Tell Me' this past Saturday and was asked 'what really happened', as apparantly some people couldn't buy the excuse of choking on a pretzel and passing out as the reason Bush had a bruise. According to McClellan no one knows for certain what happened except Bush, because apparantly it happened while he was alone in the residence part of the White House.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2008 01:48 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggested to my boss that during the run of this film at our theater we should display all the packages of m&m's in the concession stand upside down- - so they look like little w's!

(He told me to go back up to the booth...and lock the door)
[Big Grin]

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this picture yesterday, and now having had overnight to digest it, I'm left with much of a feeling of actors doing characters, either for the good or bad.
The early parts, to me, were too long. The frat party, courting Laura, out on the football field, etc. just added to running time.
Maybe the rest of it is too recent, and becomes a fictionalized replay of actual news events. It is always really hard to have actors portray people with whom we are familiar from TV news. It can work well with such as David Strathairn's portrail of Ed Murrow in GOOD NIGHT AND GOOD LUCK, since Murrow hasn't been seen for many years, but current politicians are another story.
I did feel, however that Brolin really brought off Bush's vocal delivery, almost to the point where he might get cast on Saturday Night Live.
Another pet peeve is the use of the hand-held camera whenever W. was drinking, or a bit off kilter. I can see what Oliver Stone intended, but that, together with very tight closeups, always distract me from the story.

DM

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, that was a great idea. Some people don't like to do promotional stuff. I guess they think it will just be more work. Too bad. If I had come to your theater and saw that, I would have bought a package just as a tribute to originality.

Carol May
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 08:24 PM      Profile for Carol May   Email Carol May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I saw a screening of W. this afternoon and were very pleasantly surprised. We were expecting good performances but not much by way of a story. There wasn't too much story, really, but what was there kept us interested, laughing, and we were surprised when it ended. It did not seem like 129 min. at all.

Karl Rove was by far the best character. W was good, Condi was good (despite someone's negative impression earlier). James Cromwell didn't look anything like GHWB, but he was effective.

The Laura character was pretty bad, as was Rummy.

The movie got more overtly political near the end, but it didn't go on too long so it didn't detract from the comedic/satiric aspect.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 09:48 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pretzel incident happened in 2002.

From the Wikipedia:

quote:
On January 14, 2002, U.S. President George W. Bush emerged in front of a press conference with a very prominent broken blood vessel welt on his cheek, and said that he had choked on a pretzel while watching television the day before. Bush had reportedly been sitting on his couch, 90 minutes into watching an NFL football Miami vs. Baltimore play-off game on television, when he choked on the pretzel, falling to the ground, injuring himself, and briefly losing consciousness before awakening to see his dogs Barney and Spot showing alarm at his state. Laura Bush was reportedly in the adjoining room at the time, and Bush was alone watching the football game.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2008 12:55 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was very disappointing. I was expecting a bit more substance. Instead, it felt more like a greatest hits compilation. It's exciting to see a movie like this made about someone who's still in office, but the end result speaks to why it's not done more often. It seems that the added perspective that comes with time is more valuable than I thought.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: