Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Quarantine (October, 2008)

Author Topic: Quarantine (October, 2008)
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2008 01:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I read, this is a remake of a movie that came out in March 2008 or something like that.

This is just another one of those "camera guy follows other person/people around and has severe epileptic seizures throughout" movies which is supposed to be "realistic" due to the shitty way it was made. That's supposed to translate into "OMG" and "scary". Since the movie isn't well made, it relies mostly on startling you for it's so-called "thrills". It's quiet... quiet... quiet... BIG NOISE SUDDEN MOVEMENT!!!! If you are an idiot, you will love this movie. The very last scene of the movie is shown in the trailer. That's how awesome this movie is.

This movie was clearly shot in 720p. It shows as it looks pretty soft but not as soft as 480p video. Again the camera seems to have an awesome 5.1-capable microphone, just like all television news cameras that JUST HAPPEN to shoot at 24fps.

This is my ascertainment of the movie after watching 30 to 45 seconds of this turd. No more intake of this movie is needed.

Rating: T out of 4.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 10-11-2008 06:33 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I now know everything I need to know about the way this movie was filmed, produced, marketed, and all that other crap.

I still have no idea what it's about. Is what it's "about" any good? Apparently it's all the other stuff that's worth judging it on. What the heck is this movie about?

I once saw this YouTube video. It was clearly shot with a cameraphone, with a bad microphone. It was so shaky, and the sound was kinda muffled. The person pointing the camera didn't know how to hold the camera, and they didn't upload the file in stereo. The screenshot thumbnail totally gave away the last 10 seconds of the clip. I didn't laugh at it.

Therefore, this particular YouTube clip was a waste of everyone's frickin' time.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the lack of spoilers. I told you what it's about... startling you. View the trailer if you must, but be warned that it is basically the entire movie. The final scene of the trailer is the final scene of the movie preceded by a bunch of running around and night-vision "scary scary".

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Puts you in the scenario, but answers nothing. From all the lost viewers on imdb, I've pieced together what the movie's final scenes are about and it makes more sense now. Apparently this is a blatant (copy) remake of a spanish horror flick which enplained itself a lot better.

I don't want to ruin anything except that I would've rather watched 5 reels of black mylar.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-12-2008 10:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How was your reel 4 to 5 transition? Mine was seamless since I ran the Director's Cut with all of the frames installed.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks great, might've been short on the last frame or two, but I can't tell, and it's in frame. I really hate fade outs, especially since my lightbox is broken right now.

Received the best compliment though, the projectionist I replaced as head of booth watch it and said if it wasn't for the changeover cues, she wouldn't of known the end of a reel had passed. Couldn't see my splices or cue tape.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our teen staff loved it, figures, brains of mush.

louis

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2008 03:48 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shot-by-shot english language remake of last years spanish movie "[REC]".

[Rec] was the best movie that I have seen in a theatre all year, so I don't see the point (or particually want to watch) a shot-by-shot re-make of what was allready a great film.

This film is equivalent to that Vince Vaughn remake of Psycho.

The Psycho remake was made for teenagers who can't cope with black and white and need color, and this has been made for teenagers who can't cope with subtitles and need english dialog.

Go to your local Blockbuster and rent [Rec].

I will probably end up watching this version, but I'll be looking through the slits in my fingers as if I'm watching a car crash.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-12-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tyler Potts
the projectionist I replaced as head of booth watch it and said if it wasn't for the changeover cues, she wouldn't of known the end of a reel had passed.
Yes, I did notice that this movie has very seamless real changes, mostly done on black and also the sound is continuous which you don't see a lot. Normally reel changes jump to a new scene with new visuals and new sound. It's almost as if this one is the same shot.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2008 04:20 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So your saying that basicly the trailer is the summary of the movie? No need to check it out then. The trailer says it all. At least you know what to expect. Which is crap [Wink]

Joe Tommassello
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2009 10:28 AM      Profile for Joe Tommassello   Email Joe Tommassello       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Quarantine on Blu-ray last night. Worst over use of the "shaky-cam" I have ever seen. Totally ruined what might have been a half-decent movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: