Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Body of Lies (2008)

Author Topic: Body of Lies (2008)
Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 10:12 AM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ferris (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a CIA field agent working with Ed Hoffman (Russell Crowe) to track down a terrorist network in Jordan.

This is a good, though not amazing, secret agent movie with lots of lying, car bombs, torture scenes, and a secret agent who falls for a local girl. The movie mostly follows DiCapio's character, who's trying to be the honest spy hunting terrorists. Crowe keeps getting in the way for reasons we never really understand; either there's some interesting plotline in the book that was dropped from the movie or he's just a semi-competent control freak.

7/10

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-12-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #9, 35mm. It needed to be a little louder.

Ridley Scott has made a pretty good spy-espionage movie here. The story takes a lot of twists and turns and raises some interesting "what ifs" regarding the subject material. Most of what unfolds seems fairly plausible. The movie held my attention, didn't drag for me at all.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not a home-run, but plenty solid.

Oh yeah, the popcorn was crap today, like it was cooked too hot and was also too salty. I wasn't the only customer who noticed.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 10-24-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a good time, more dialog over action then I expected. Decent story/plot... its a movie you should wait for DVD/BluRay.

From watching the trailers I was disgusted by Leo's nappy rat on his face. Good thing he cleaned up a little more for the rest of the film otherwise I would have been very annoyed. [Roll Eyes] I was expecting Russell to be more of an ass but whatever he did alright.

[The Jen] [The Jen] [The Jen] 1/2 out of 5

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2008 02:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DiCaprio is the agent on the ground whose Boss (Crowe) keeps interfering in his work from afar. Wackiness ensues.

Despite some snappy reparte between the leads (and a good performance by DiCaprio) the whole point of this movie was made in the first 15 minutes ... with the rest of it just repeating this point ad nauseam.

1 1/2 stars out of 5.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2008 08:47 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great acting. Pretty good movie. Entertaining enough, anyway. When I first saw the title, I thought it was about Joan Rivers.

SPOILER I hate "oh man, just in the nick of time" endings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: