Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Eagle Eye (2008)

Author Topic: Eagle Eye (2008)
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-28-2008 05:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today at Regal 15 in Eugene, #4, 35mm. Looked and sounded good, no complaints.

This movie has some problems, not the least of which is the first half takes itself too seriously, to the point of being absolutely preposterous. I mean the tone should have been "This is ridiculous, how is this happening, this is not possible!". Maybe the audience wouldn't have laughed out loud at scenes that were not supposed to be funny. I'm thinking specifically of SPOILER EXPUNGED. Then later when they get to the reveal it could have turned more serious, like "Well you think this couldn't really happen, but WHAT IF IT DID!?" That might have made for a better movie.

I give it 2.5 out of 5 mostly because they try hard, and they blow things up real good. Also lots of nice car crashes.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 05:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time that Shia and director DJ Caruso got together was for Disturbia which was such a blatant ripoff of Rear Window that a plagerism suit has recently been filed by the Cornell Woolrich estate.

With Eagle Eye the plot is a once again a re-working of Hitchcock but this time it is a mix of North By Northwest and The Man Who Knew Too Much. In fact the whole climatic scene at the end of Eagle Eye is almost a frame-for-frame remake of the ending of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 09-29-2008 03:16 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely more action than I expected. [beer] Shia was better in this than Transformers thats for sure.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 09-29-2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it, as proposterous or improbable it was, or even as likely and inevitable it was.

The only problem I had was in, literally, the last 3 minutes. That's how much time passes from the climax to the credits ... and definitely some of it (possibly all of it) had the stench of rewrite/reshoot. It really seemed to me like there was some batch of test audiences who didn't like [what I felt SHOULD have been the ending that makes more sense with the themes of the movie], and they pulled a brand new final scene from out of someone's posterior.

Anyway, that Michelle Monagan is cute.

Oh, another observation ... there are plenty of REAL products/companies/etc. placed all around (McDonald's, Myspace & Facebook, Rock Band the video game, Porche, ...) and yet he doesn't work at FedEx Kinko's. It's the perfectly generically-titled Copy Cabana! That stood out for me, for some reason.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 06:50 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Fedex/Kinko's didn't want to pay the big bucks.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 07:26 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite flogging review of the movie has been:

"I want you to take the Porsche to McDonalds, use your Visa Gift Cards to go to Circuit City and buy Rock Band. Disobey and you die!"

Aside from a mediocre plot, its suspenseful and entertaining. I have not been a fan of Shia. Angered that friends gave me a blank look when I said how horrible of a remake Disturbia was of Rear Window.

Shia had a very reactive approach to the movie, almost a Goldblum nervous twitch. At the end when he's standing on the table after firing a few shots, his entire body is rigid and he's completely trembling. Absolutely terrified and going through with it. Totally sold me.

Eagle Eye: 3/5

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-29-2008 08:12 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shia was ok, I had no problem with him. I really liked Disturbia as a modern remake of a classic.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 09-30-2008 04:23 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep ... Circuit City ... Sprint ... everyone's a Sprint subscriber in this film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There must be another movie called Eagle Eye, because the Eagle Eye I saw was stupid and downright awful.

1 out of 5 (1 given to the movie for Shia doing the best he could with such a terrible script)

SPOILER ALERT
I liked Disturbia overall and was even able to overlook the ending where Turner, who just moved into an existing house, has already accumulated bodies in his cavernous basement with hidden doors and such. Yeah right, as if Shia wouldn't have noticed the construction workers when the guy moved in. [Roll Eyes] Eagle Eye was that multiplied by about 10,000.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 07:58 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was decent and watchable and somewhat entertaining. The writers definitely earned their money working in all of the advertising. One thing that I didn't like was how "in your face" the political statement was. If you want to make a subtle statement that gives thought to people that is fine but coming out with voiceovers was a little much.

Anyway, 2/5 from me.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: