Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » TOWELHEAD

Author Topic: TOWELHEAD
Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 10:07 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warner Bros. is advertising this as a comedy. NO WAY! It is a most uncomfortable movie about a 13 year old girl who is abused emotionally and sexually by almost everybody in the film except a neighbor who gets an idea of what's going on.
Almost everybody in the story needs some serious counseling.
It has some fairly graphic sexual situations made more objectionable because of the girl's age.
(The actress was actually 18 at the time of production).

RPM

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-15-2008 06:48 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of it, but it sounds like a movie about a terrorist. Does that make me racist?

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 09:48 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you search for "Towelhead" on IMDB it redirects you to "Nothing Is Private" and in the synopsis it says it is based on the novel "Towelhead". Anyone know why the name change? It also categorizes it as a drama.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-17-2008 10:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very disturbing film. Well made, but disturbing. Not for the squeemish. The lead actress is excellent.

I did a screening of this back in February (?) with the author of the book and the screenwriter. Apparently, there were issues over the title with Warners, but the writers both felt strongly that the film should retain the book title.

The original edit of the film was about ten minutes longer than the version that played at Sundance. I don't know if anything has changed since then.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: