Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Global Metal (2008)

Author Topic: Global Metal (2008)
Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2008 08:46 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Global Metal (USA)
Following on from his excellent Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, anthropologist metalhead, Sam Dunn, examines how heavy metal music has contributed to globalisation. Um.......okay. It sounds a bit high-brow for the metal crowd but what it all boils down to is that metal tends to go hand in hand with social freedom and cultural globalisation. Make of that what you will - perhaps it's the ultimate expression of artistic freedom or maybe the final anarchic buttfuck of decent society pre-empting the impending apocalypse (the Norwegians would probably prefer the latter).

The film begins with Sepultura in Brazil and works its way through China, Indonesia, India, Japan and finally Iran where metal is outlawed and is only available via MP3 downloads. Dunn puts this point to a visibly uncomfortable Lars Ulrich, much to the delight of the audience. (Apparently he's fine with it......or so he says.)

By far the most interesting segment is that shot in Japan who must surely be the most courteous, cheerful metal fans in the world. It's a country where schoolgirl headbangers fiercely gesticulate the devil horns before collapsing into a fit of sweetness and giggles; a country sporting metal-inspired anime such as Death Panda.

Ultimately Global Metal is not as interesting as its predecessor but it's always hard to beat an origin story. Nevertheless, like its forebear, the film is informative and there's still plenty to enjoy for metal fans and non-fans alike.

8 out of 10.

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! I loved Headbangers Journey. Glad he did another one. I will definitely check this one out when it comes out on DVD.

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2008 04:52 AM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a metal fan, Allison?

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2008 12:34 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Stu, I am. To some extent. I'm pretty picky on what I like. Working at a record store for 10 years that has a gigantic metal selection, you have to like some of it haha. But the documentary itself is great. Seeing interviews from the dudes from Cannibal Corpse and Gogorothwas very interesting to say the least [Smile]

Stu Jamieson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Stu Jamieson   Email Stu Jamieson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing, I'm not a metal fan - well, ok, except for a brief dalliance with KISS in my early teens [Big Grin] - but like you say the documentary is so good that you don't need to be. There's enough music history in these films to keep it interesting even if you don't dig the music. And let's face it, the more extreme metal bands are so cartoony how can you not find them funny (even if the "music" sounds horrible). [Big Grin] I guess I like some of it too, just not enough to follow any particular band (I still pull out the old KISS LP's now and again.)

You would have seen Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster presumably?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: