Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Swing Vote (2008)

Author Topic: Swing Vote (2008)
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this at the Centennial 5 Theatres in Sheridan, Wyoming. Presentation was fine. Aside from seeing two junky storage rooms thanks to two open closet doors in the hallways leading to our auditorium, we had a pleasant moviegoing experience.

I know political films are off limits here, but I don't really look at it as a political film. It's a comedy that's simply based on the political world, and it skewers both sides of the aisle equally. The movie makes fun of the process of "courting voters" but may be more accurate than politicians would like to admit!

Kevin Costner does a terrific job playing against his normal character - he's a lovable loser in this movie who, due to actions of his very-smart and politically-interested 12-year-old daughter, winds up having to cast the one vote that will decide the U.S. presidential election.

Madeline Carroll is great as Costner's daughter Molly in the movie. If she doesn't go batshit like Lindsey Lohan, she could be a big star.

The film takes no political sides and it also doesn't bother much with trying to deal with how the political system works -- in actuality, the circumstances in this film are nigh impossible, of course. It is a comedy first, and a non-partisan commentary on politicians in general. The story is a bit predictable, but the great job done by the actors (the side players are uniformly excellent as well) makes it an enjoyable time at the movies.

4 out of 5 stars from me.

|  IP: Logged

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2008 12:53 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running the trailer for it now, it'll be our second movie comi9ng, after Dark Knight.

The trailer looks interesting, although the idea of one vote doing this is laughable. I always enjoyed Costner, even when every movie made for three years starred him. I also like Hopper, and Tucci is a great actor, so I'll probably like the movie.

Thanks for the review, Mike.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: